Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   My Version of an Antique Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/my-version-antique-quilt-t302986.html)

Teen 02-14-2019 06:14 PM

Beautiful recreation!! Fantastic and thoughtful. They should love and treasure this! So happy for your reconnection with cherished friends.

BrendaK 02-15-2019 01:43 AM

Love it. BrendaK

jmoore 02-15-2019 03:26 AM

What a thoughtful gift...you did a great job coming up with your own pattern and making such a lovely quilt. Thank you for sharing.

trolleystation 02-15-2019 08:53 AM

all those small squares!

ccthomas 02-15-2019 06:01 PM

Nice quilt.

audsgirl 02-15-2019 11:10 PM

It's a terrific quilt. I'm sure your friends will be really touched to receive it.

Leslie

quilterpurpledog 02-16-2019 03:53 AM

A lovely old quilt pattern brought beautifully into the modern era. Beautiful quilt and so perfect for a renewed relationship with a renewed friendship.

illinois 02-16-2019 04:50 AM

Thank you, thank you!! After seeing this pattern yesterday, I retrieved the box of 9 patch blocks that were left among my mother's projects when she passed away in 1993. I've been wondering what to do with those and this is perfect! Since I now have at least 20 of the bigger blocks ready to be assembled with sashing or the plain blocks as you have them, there have to be more than 100 of the little 9 patches made by her. I recognize some of the fabrics from the past and this is wonderful to finally have them moving into a quilt for actual use rather than in a box in the attic.

Her blocks had never been squared so time was taken to do that but my finished blocks are now 10.5". I'm sure these were all cut with scissors rather than rotary cut and can you believe the seams are about 1/8"! Was it a Singer Slant-o-matic that had that skinny presser foot? She probably used the width of the presser foot for the seam allowance.

maudeflanagan 02-16-2019 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by illinois (Post 8211247)
Thank you, thank you!! After seeing this pattern yesterday, I retrieved the box of 9 patch blocks that were left among my mother's projects when she passed away in 1993. I've been wondering what to do with those and this is perfect! Since I now have at least 20 of the bigger blocks ready to be assembled with sashing or the plain blocks as you have them, there have to be more than 100 of the little 9 patches made by her. I recognize some of the fabrics from the past and this is wonderful to finally have them moving into a quilt for actual use rather than in a box in the attic.

Her blocks had never been squared so time was taken to do that but my finished blocks are now 10.5". I'm sure these were all cut with scissors rather than rotary cut and can you believe the seams are about 1/8"! Was it a Singer Slant-o-matic that had that skinny presser foot? She probably used the width of the presser foot for the seam allowance.

Illinois, this is so wonderful! I am glad you now have a way to put your mother’s blocks into a quilt. Such lovely memories and you are able to continue your mom’s work. I am very touched that you found inspiration from my quilt. I have picked up some previous projects from my mother and find myself running my hands over her stitches and wonder what she was thinking about while making them. It’s really a special experience.

Thank you for all the wonderful comments everyone!

Grandma Peg 02-16-2019 09:26 PM

Very pretty quilt, it will be loved.