Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Mystery Quilt - Claudia's Quilt Shoppe (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/mystery-quilt-claudias-quilt-shoppe-t35845.html)

karielt 02-04-2010 10:03 AM

Any suggestions on background fabric is it best to have a light color then

JanieW 02-04-2010 11:10 AM

For the background you want it dark enough to contrast with the whites you will be using, but still neutral so that it doesn't over power the other colours.

I made my first snowflake last night and it was a teeny bit tricky with the small pieces, but I used sizing every time I pressed and that seemed to really help keep the points. I also used a single hole throat plate. Now I will go back to chain piecing, but I had to make one entire square first.

This is really fun!

Janie

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-04-2010 11:12 AM

The instructions suggest cream for the background.

I'm setting here looking at the snowflake pattern trying to come up with a way to avoid those tiny pieces! It may be time to get my husband to whip the pattern up with CAD so I can paper piece it.

Lockeb 02-04-2010 12:48 PM

Karielt,
Yes, I think that a light color is best - I am using a beige print - tone-on-tone....similar to the the color in the original instructions...because of all of the different colors that we will be using each month I think that a light ground will be best.

JanieW - I totally agree...and when I did the snowflakes, I found that when I added the 2 halves, I opened the seams rather than press to one side..it was easier and the snowflakes are more flat that way.

Lisa,
I am sure that you could paper piece these if you wanted to....I didn't even think of that...the triangles are small for the snowflakes - but they do go together pretty well..February is a lot easier - pieces are bigger...... just have to get though January's snowflakes....

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-04-2010 12:51 PM

Don't worry, Lockeb. I will conquer the triangles one way or the other! I've got to pick up some cream fabric tomorrow for the background and then I will be off and running.

Thanks for finding this link. It looks like fun. I'm betting March has something to do with shamrocks.

Quilt Mom 02-04-2010 02:02 PM

Lockeb, count me in, also. It looks like a lot of fun, and manageable as far as time commitment.

Now I am off to dig through the stash for a neutral!! :lol:

How many are there doing this now?

Lockeb 02-04-2010 02:25 PM

Lisa,
I'm seeing some shamrocks also :-)

Quilt Mom, from what I can see here, there's about 25 of us here now - that's pretty good....

Catlady 02-04-2010 04:13 PM

count me in too. Just have to remember to check every
month for the next pattern. Think I'll stick a post it
note on my screen. Never saw one like this before, looks
like fun. Yeah Lockeb, I'm seeing shamrocks too and
pumpkins and leaves too. Tee Hee! Course I gott add a
cat in there somewhere too.
Catlady

Lockeb 02-04-2010 04:27 PM

Hi Catlady...
Well, perhaps October will be a black cat instead of a pumpkin.... :-)
Glad that you are joining us - we are going to have quite the showcase at the end of the year :-)

Mamagus 02-04-2010 04:53 PM

Ok Billll! I'm in! I have a long narrow space in a hallway that is crying out for a wallhanging, so I am going to make mine much narrower, but I'll definitely being do this one.

I'll be using scrappy tone on tone look as well for the background. I like the look of scrappy backgrounds too!