Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Need help dating old fabrics (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-help-dating-old-fabrics-t87843.html)

Cheshirecatquilter 01-05-2011 11:37 AM

7 Attachment(s)
I recently found this top in my mother's old cedar chest. She's been gone since 2004, so I can't ask her who made it, but if someone can help date the fabrics used, perhaps I can hazard a guess. It's machine sewn, though very poorly (not the way my mom sewed), with some seam allowances almost nonexistent and having two or three rows of stitching to prevent fraying in places. I think the only way for me to preserve it will be to fuse the entire wrong side if I want to try to add batting and a backing and to overcast some edges that have already shredded. I don't dare wash it until it's stabilized.

I'm not quite sure if the close up photos I've taken will be large enough for someone to determine the date of the fabrics, but if they are not, send me a message, and I'll email larger picture files.

close up 3
[ATTACH=CONFIG]153924[/ATTACH]

the whole top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]153998[/ATTACH]

close up 1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]153999[/ATTACH]

close up 2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154000[/ATTACH]

close up 4
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154001[/ATTACH]

close up 5
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154002[/ATTACH]

close up 6
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154003[/ATTACH]

Airwick156 01-05-2011 11:40 AM

I don't have a clue, but I really do like it. Hope someone can help you.

Cyn 01-05-2011 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
I don't have a clue, but I really do like it. Hope someone can help you.

ditto

sueisallaboutquilts 01-05-2011 11:48 AM

I would guess the 50's and some 40's. What a sweet top!! I love it :)

ann clare 01-05-2011 11:59 AM

Beautiful quilt.

clem55 01-05-2011 12:02 PM

the green and white stripr in number one is very much like a dress my sister had in the early 40's. My mom would have made it for her.

angelwatcher 01-05-2011 12:05 PM

Looks like the 40's to me too, maybe some 50's also.

jljack 01-05-2011 03:02 PM

I am certain these are 30's and 40's fabrics. I have some old tops that I know are from that period, and there are some of the same fabrics.

You can certainly save this top by quilting it. Where the seams are frayed and coming apart, you can do a narrow zigzag stitch of the seam in a matching thread. Even if it's visible, it is really necessary to hold the top together. It's my easiest and most effective "fix" for this particular problem.

This is certainly worth saving. It is a really nice top. Yes, I am certain this is from the late 30's to early 40's. Not 50's...fabric changed after World War II..much more modern patterns.

You have a nice top there...do what you can to save it. It'll be worth it.

piepatch 01-05-2011 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshirecatquilter
I recently found this top in my mother's old cedar chest. She's been gone since 2004, so I can't ask her who made it, but if someone can help date the fabrics used, perhaps I can hazard a guess. It's machine sewn, though very poorly (not the way my mom sewed), with some seam allowances almost nonexistent and having two or three rows of stitching to prevent fraying in places. I think the only way for me to preserve it will be to fuse the entire wrong side if I want to try to add batting and a backing and to overcast some edges that have already shredded. I don't dare wash it until it's stabilized.

I am guessing the fabrics are from the 30's and 40's.

I'm not quite sure if the close up photos I've taken will be large enough for someone to determine the date of the fabrics, but if they are not, send me a message, and I'll email larger picture files.

hobo2000 01-05-2011 03:20 PM

I agree with jljack..definitely 30's to 40's. I have one very similar with those pinks and blues.