Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Need help identifying pattern - please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-help-identifying-pattern-please-t209882.html)

laralea 01-02-2013 05:58 AM

Need help identifying pattern - please

1 Attachment(s)
Can someone tell me what pattern this is or how it is done? I think it is exquisite and I can sort of see how it is done, but I've been trying to make a test pattern without success. Thanks!

Quilter 65 01-02-2013 06:14 AM

I wish I could help you as some have helped me out so quickly, but I am afraid I can't. I would agree that this is a lovely pattern and would make a beautiful project. I am sure someone will be able soon to give you an answer.

MTS 01-02-2013 06:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]385352[/ATTACH]

The diagonal cuts are made in different directions.

You can cut the two squares into triangles and sew them back together (the A to A and B to B).

Or you can sew the two squares together in the usual method of making HST blocks
first square, right side up, yellow, orange purple
Second square, right side down, purple, orange, yellow.

You have to make sure the middle seam, between the orange and yellow, are nested so they match up nicely when you sew and cut them apart.

You use the same method for the orange and blue HST blocks (background squares) - just check your orientation when either cutting the diagonals, or placing two squares together.

MamaBear61 01-02-2013 06:43 AM

It looks like strip sets in two different colours and then sliced on the 45 and stitched together together to create the "star" from one colour set and the "background" from the other colour set rotating the stripes to offset the same fabrics. Does this make any sense? Hopefully someone can explain it clearer, I know exactly what I am saying but it doesn't sound to clear typed out, I apologize.

MamaBear61 01-02-2013 06:44 AM

MTS has explained much better :-)

lfstamper 01-02-2013 06:47 AM

very pretty.. I think mts has it! try her method and show us.

laralea 01-02-2013 07:12 AM

Thanks!! I will try it and post photos. Just one more question - how wide are the strips - 3"-2"-2" maybe?

Murphy1 01-02-2013 07:31 AM

This is wonderful. I am so appreciative of the helpfulness of board members. this block is lovely as well.TQUOTE=MTS;5756583][ATTACH=CONFIG]385352[/ATTACH]

The diagonal cuts are made in different directions.

You can cut the two squares into triangles and sew them back together (the A to A and B to B).

Or you can sew the two squares together in the usual method of making HST blocks
first square, right side up, yellow, orange purple
Second square, right side down, purple, orange, yellow.

You have to make sure the middle seam, between the orange and yellow, are nested so they match up nicely when you sew and cut them apart.

You use the same method for the orange and blue HST blocks (background squares) - just check your orientation when either cutting the diagonals, or placing two squares together.[/QUOTE]

northern lass 01-02-2013 07:59 AM

I'm so pleased MTS came up with the answer. it's a lovely block and has given me idea's!

ruthrings 01-02-2013 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by laralea (Post 5756674)
Thanks!! I will try it and post photos. Just one more question - how wide are the strips - 3"-2"-2" maybe?

It appears to me that the two narrower stripes equal the wider stripe, i.e. 4" - 2" - 2"
The diagram is great! Thanks!