Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Need Help Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-help-please-t125013.html)

paula153 05-22-2011 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have made this quilt top with 5" ten minute blocks and am happy with the result, but would like to add further to it and am at a loss as to know what to do.
Suggestions please, I just can't come up with anything.
At the moment it measures approx 36" square. I have all the fabrics used in the top still left as well.

I used 5" charm square for these blocks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200839[/ATTACH]

the casual quilter 05-22-2011 04:50 PM

Is it the size that you aren't happy with? If so, how large would you like to make it?

katiescraftshop 05-22-2011 04:53 PM

looks good so far.

crafty_linda_b 05-22-2011 04:57 PM

Paula did you have any problems with the centers? I have made this pattern using 10" blocks. I love it. I have been considering trying it with smaller squares but was afraid of the center or last seam being a pain to work with. Any suggestions? I think if you added a border on it you might use the charms with smaller squares on the corners then set them on point. Kinda like a snow ball block if you understand what I mean. I love the colors you used on this one. Very good job!! crafty_linda_b

paula153 05-22-2011 04:59 PM

The cente was a little more difficult at first but no too hard at all, the more I did the easier handling the centre got.

paula153 05-22-2011 05:01 PM

Yes I would like it to be bigger and not sure exactly how big, just keep going till it looks right.

QuiltnNan 05-22-2011 05:16 PM

lovely as it is

Yarn or Fabric 05-22-2011 05:24 PM

How about figuring out the math to do a round of smaller 10 minute blocks to go around what you have already? That would be really sharp I think. You could also do a round or square I should say of blocks using the center colors - or even you could make the tan color bigger at the bottom and around the sides then do some applique flowers and vines - okay. I have it pictured in my head but I know I'm losing something in translation..

Exactly how big do you want this to become? I guess that is the biggest question to start off with...

MTS 05-22-2011 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric
How about figuring out the math to do a round of smaller 10 minute blocks to go around what you have already? That would be really sharp I think.

:thumbup:
I was also thinking the same thing.

If the blocks you've already done are, what, 9" finished, then maybe the next round should be 6" finished, and then a round of 3" finished.
Or reversed. Do the 3" next, and then a round of the 6".
That's even better.
No sashings - just what you'd need to make the math work.

Yes, it's a lot of work and blocks, but I think it would be very cool.

So you'd start with 3.5" blocks (for the 6" finished) and 2" (for the 3" finished) blocks. Check my math. ;-)

annieshane 05-22-2011 05:40 PM

I really like these color combinations. I made one using much larger blocks, but not as happy with the larger centers. Should have used smaller. Have you thought of maybe a piano border using all the fabrics? Another option might be a narrow inner border of random lengths of strips of the fabrics you are using, then adding a larger outer border of the solid fabrics. Do post your completed project. It is very pretty.