Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Need ideas for border (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-ideas-border-t6058.html)

bebe 04-10-2008 04:35 AM

Use a dark brn or black outside border w/ a dark gold inner border to stop the quilt and then frame it.

Bebe

Knot Sew 04-10-2008 06:26 AM

I thought first a deep blue not royal , and the wine maroon red. It seem do call for deep dark colors :D

jacquemoe 04-10-2008 07:01 AM

That is an amazing looking quilt. I would never guess that all those colors would go so well together. I can't make any suggestions about the border except to audition some dark colors. I have my own issues with colors and borders 8)

Jeannie 04-10-2008 07:11 AM

Your quilt is smashing!! I agree with the black border. Happy Quilting!
PS If I worked in a quilt store I would be broke all the time!!

imaquilter 04-10-2008 07:24 PM

Thanks so much everyone! I auditioned a few fabrics today at the shop from the clearance section (was hoping to get away with $5 per yard) but, nothing worked. I am going to try tomorrow with the regular priced fabrics. But, what I did try.....you all were right, it HAS to be dark and very subtle pattern. There is so much going on. I will post again to let you see what I chose and the pic of it completed.

I too, thought some of those fabrics were going to be hideous together. I HATED the quilt while I was making it as I just knew it was going to be
UGLY....I mean, how could it work....it has everything from Civil War prints to bright novelty in it. But, you know what....once it was all put together and I laid it out and stood on a ladder (ha!) and looked at it......I LOVE IT!!!!!!

Even hubby liked it....WOW! I got a ton of compliments on it at the shop!

Thanks so much everyone!!!!! You are all so helpful!

imaquilter 04-10-2008 07:28 PM

Hey Patrice...you know when I stand back and look at it....I see that orange block in the bottom right corner.... :lol:

I would say that I should have added more orange but, my goal was to use EXACTLY what I was given in the swap and not change a thing. So, it is what it is. I think I love it so much because it is a quilt made from so many different quilter's stashes. And, so many of them are also my friends so it is very special. I can pick out which block fabrics were given to me by certain people as they shopped in my quilt store and I know their taste in fabric. SO NEAT!!!!!

imaquilter 04-19-2008 08:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay...as promised, here is the quilt with the border on! I think it turned out fabulous!

Dawn Hendrix 04-19-2008 09:01 AM

THAT IS JUST GORGOUS!!!!!

Such a beautiful quilt!

Seems as if it all worked out perfectly!

bebe 04-19-2008 10:03 AM

So what color of border did you end up using? Hard to tell from the photo but i just love the look of the quilt!!!!

Izy 04-19-2008 10:10 AM

Lovely - the dark border really sets all the blocks off. I am amazed that you can remember who made every block !!

Great job!!