Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Need opinions on borders! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-opinions-borders-t113338.html)

Rachielou 04-03-2011 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I keep looking at this thinking it looks wierd. I don't think the borders are right... I'm debating going and buying different fabric-either lighter or darker or both. Thoughts?

(The maroon fabric in the background isn't part of the quilt.)

blossom808 04-03-2011 10:14 PM

Maybe a darker purple. just my thought.

Quilting Angel 04-03-2011 10:19 PM

I think your quilt looks nice. If you don't like the border, is that black in the background of the flower blocks? If so, I think a black border would look wonderful.

pamkasperi 04-03-2011 10:24 PM

Ihave you tried reversing it? the darker color inside instead of out?

Rachielou 04-03-2011 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Angel
I think your quilt looks nice. If you don't like the border, is that black in the background of the flower blocks? If so, I think a black border would look wonderful.

its actually a really weird dark brown. I have other dark brown fabric, but when I tried that it looked awful. I didn't realize that dark brown came in very different shades. :)

janedee 04-03-2011 10:38 PM

I would personally go for a dark purple border and then bind in the light purple the same as in the quilt

pamkasperi 04-03-2011 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rachielou

Originally Posted by Quilting Angel

its actually a really weird dark brown. I have other dark brown fabric, but when I tried that it looked awful. I didn't realize that dark brown came in very different shades. :)

Are there 2 borders or just one?

milp04 04-04-2011 12:07 AM

Hi Rachielou,

How much of the flower fabric do you have? I would suggest using a darker fabric such as the flowers or something similiar to it and/or something similar to the other dark print and make a flange fabric accent border or a medium size piping border between the purple and the outside border. You can then also add another border on the outside if you need it to be larger. If you find other fabric, lay them out and take pictures we'll help give you our opinions. I hope all of that made sense.

It's looking good so far. It's hard sometimes to see the colors in the pictures online.

Pam M

d.rickman 04-04-2011 12:40 AM

I agree the darker border perhaps as the inside border with a narrower 2nd border using the light brown, then dark binding.

The light brown border washes out the beautiful center piece of your quilt. My eyes were immediately drawn to the light brown border, and the center should have been the focus point. The center of your quilt is beautiful, you did a lovely job.

mimom 04-04-2011 03:21 AM

it needs a dark border,