Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need opinions on borders!

I keep looking at this thinking it looks wierd. I don't think the borders are right... I'm debating going and buying different fabric-either lighter or darker or both. Thoughts?

(The maroon fabric in the background isn't part of the quilt.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe a darker purple. just my thought.

Blog Entries
    I think your quilt looks nice. If you don't like the border, is that black in the background of the flower blocks? If so, I think a black border would look wonderful.

Banned
    Ihave you tried reversing it? the darker color inside instead of out?

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Angel
    I think your quilt looks nice. If you don't like the border, is that black in the background of the flower blocks? If so, I think a black border would look wonderful.
    its actually a really weird dark brown. I have other dark brown fabric, but when I tried that it looked awful. I didn't realize that dark brown came in very different shades. :)

I would personally go for a dark purple border and then bind in the light purple the same as in the quilt

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachielou
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Angel
    its actually a really weird dark brown. I have other dark brown fabric, but when I tried that it looked awful. I didn't realize that dark brown came in very different shades. :)
    Are there 2 borders or just one?

Hi Rachielou,

How much of the flower fabric do you have? I would suggest using a darker fabric such as the flowers or something similiar to it and/or something similar to the other dark print and make a flange fabric accent border or a medium size piping border between the purple and the outside border. You can then also add another border on the outside if you need it to be larger. If you find other fabric, lay them out and take pictures we'll help give you our opinions. I hope all of that made sense.

It's looking good so far. It's hard sometimes to see the colors in the pictures online.

Pam M

I agree the darker border perhaps as the inside border with a narrower 2nd border using the light brown, then dark binding.

The light brown border washes out the beautiful center piece of your quilt. My eyes were immediately drawn to the light brown border, and the center should have been the focus point. The center of your quilt is beautiful, you did a lovely job.

it needs a dark border,

i agree

nice, i like a darker border and lighter binding.

MTS
    Banned
    Yeah, you really need to go darker. Much darker. The brown (?) border is the same value as the lighter purple fabric and it's all reading as one big flat area.

Use whatever the background color of the floral fabric, but even darker if you can get it. A nice wide border - I love those. And then bind in the same fabric.

I always think lighter binding looks like wearing black stockings with white shoes. Not a great look. ;-)

Try a Moda Marble, a Bali 1895 Batik, a Dimple - something with a bit of texture to it....it doesn't have to be a solid fabric.

You can see the effect (value-wise) if you just take the brown border down you've got pinned up and see how it looks with the maroon fabric (not for the color but for the value).

The center blocks will really pop out off the much darker fabric.

At least you haven't sewn it on yet so no ripping. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    i think it looks just fine as you have it

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    The quilt is beautiful but I am not crazy about the border. I would go with a narrow light and maybe a darker wide.
    It's lovely!!! Love that precious baby too! :D:D

Maybe a smaller border of the brown & then an outer border of the maroon print

Quote Originally Posted by blossom808
    Maybe a darker purple. just my thought.
    That was my thought too, a little more contrast

I like it..I'd bind it in the small purple print.

I think I would like it better with the darker color first. Or maybe you could make a three piece border using say a strip of dark and strip of light and then another strip of dark.

I think a darker color would look awsome for your border..:O) Good Luck!

Blog Entries
    I personally would like an applique border using some of the larger flowers in your focus fabric if you have any left or an appliqued flower made to resemble them if you are out of the fabric. It looks really good as is, but maybe another border would really give it a big boost into a whole different level.

Thank you for all the help! I actually was thinking along the same lines as most of you I think! This is the final product! I have been angry with it for days but I think it turned out ok. I went with multiple thinner borders to keep the focus on the pieced center.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm going to bind it in the dark brown focus fabric to set it off a little. I'm headed to my LQS tomorrow with the top in hand to find a backing fabric. :)