Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Need some help...OK a lot of help. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/need-some-help-ok-lot-help-t194119.html)

burchquilts 07-09-2012 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Swan Song (Post 5352056)
The bottom is just the pattern I decided to use since I could let a layer cake pick the colors. LOL I was going to go with the layer cake used in the pattern but DS said it was too tame! I thought black sashing would pop the colors. I am leaning toward the reddish purple (top row, second from the left) as a border. I am way out of my comfort zone here so all suggestions and opinions are very welcomed! :)

Brights aren't in my wheelhouse either but I love the batiks you've picked out! And I think the black will really set them off -- I think the quilt will look like a stained glass window. And I think the red/purple you chose as the border if great, too. I love the pattern you've chosen. What is the name of it? It looks like the type that would work well with a variety of different "looks". I can't wait to see this when it's done!

Jennifer A 07-09-2012 06:51 PM

Love the colors you have choose. Can't wait to see how it turns out. :)

Swan Song 07-09-2012 07:25 PM

The pattern is "Twirl Simply Cakes" by Me & My Sister.

Diane007 07-09-2012 07:59 PM

Yes add some black to make your fabrics pop even more.

rebeljane 07-10-2012 01:29 AM

I think it will look awesome. Please show when it is finished.

hopetoquilt 07-10-2012 02:31 AM

It will look wonderful. I love batiks and you will love the finished product. I prefer a solid white for the background instead of a WOW. I think it goes better with the fabrics.

orangeroom 07-10-2012 02:51 AM

I think it's very nice of you to make a quilt for yoru ds's gf. If she likes bright colors, will she like the black? Or is that more of your color choice to add a little bit of you into the quilt? I like bright colors, but am no so fond of black. I made a quilt a while ago for someone at work. The whole time I was using black as sashing, I kept thinking, "Ugh, so not my color preference." But it wasn't for me.

TanyaL 07-10-2012 03:58 AM

The bright colors and black sashing just seem to shout that this is for a young adult to me - not your grandmother's quilt at all! I hope she loves it; I think the colors are beautiful. What bright color are you going to use for the backing?

Swan Song 07-10-2012 04:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Both my DS and his GF are...hmmm...unique. Both are involved with Cutting Edge Haunted House here. It holds the record for the longest haunted house in guinness book of world records. He is a stage manager and actor and she is a make-up artist and actress there. The principle color in their wardrobes is black. Very easy to do his laundry! Both are extremely talented artists as well. She loves wild mixes of bright colors and dresses with a pop of some bright color with her black. That is why I was going with the black instead of the white.

I don't think I will have trouble using the black but I may have to wear sunglasses for the batiks! LOL
Here is a pic from a photo shoot they did and one of my DS at work...Enjoy!

piepatch 07-10-2012 04:20 AM

I think you are going to have a beautiful quilt!