Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need some help...OK a lot of help.

Need some help...OK a lot of help.

I am planning my Christmas projects and gathering fabrics, patterns etc. My son's girlfriend likes bright colors, I do not, so there are only a limited amount of them in my stash. I am having so much trouble just picking them out. So I decided to start with a pattern, it will be a lap quilt. I found a quick pattern that I can use a layer cake for. I thought that would help me put the colors together. So...here is the pattern and I picked out a tonga treat. Someone please tell me if you think this will work or is going to look dead. Where there is white sashing I am going to use black. Any advice would be great! Now I hope I can attach these pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Those who wish to sing, always find a song. ~Swedish Proverb

Blog Entries
    it looks to me like it will be beautiful. I love bright colors. I love your colors. I don't think it will look dead, because there are a lot of bright lights etc.

Your first picture of Gumdro[ tonga looks bright. The colors in the quilt on the second quilt look soft and quiet.

Blog Entries
    I think it will just perfect! Black sashing will set it off!
    Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com

The bottom is just the pattern I decided to use since I could let a layer cake pick the colors. LOL I was going to go with the layer cake used in the pattern but DS said it was too tame! I thought black sashing would pop the colors. I am leaning toward the reddish purple (top row, second from the left) as a border. I am way out of my comfort zone here so all suggestions and opinions are very welcomed!
    You haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Blog Entries
    The colors are gorgeous and black will set them off beautifully.
    Helen T.

Personally I think that the bright colors will pop next to the black bordering. Yes, definately, go for it!!

Nice selection and pattern. I tend to wait until the design of the quilt is made and then see what colors speak to me for a border. She must be a special gal!

piney

I generally wait on the border also. I am just trying to picture the whole thing. Getting myself ready for these intense colors . The reddish purple may be too dark with the black actually. I just like that one. LOL

Black sashing with those colors will really make them pop. Your choice of the purple would be great. It's still bright, but with the black in it, it will finish the edges off nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Swan Song View Post
    The bottom is just the pattern I decided to use since I could let a layer cake pick the colors. LOL I was going to go with the layer cake used in the pattern but DS said it was too tame! I thought black sashing would pop the colors. I am leaning toward the reddish purple (top row, second from the left) as a border. I am way out of my comfort zone here so all suggestions and opinions are very welcomed!
    Brights aren't in my wheelhouse either but I love the batiks you've picked out! And I think the black will really set them off -- I think the quilt will look like a stained glass window. And I think the red/purple you chose as the border if great, too. I love the pattern you've chosen. What is the name of it? It looks like the type that would work well with a variety of different "looks". I can't wait to see this when it's done!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Love the colors you have choose. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

The pattern is "Twirl Simply Cakes" by Me & My Sister.

Blog Entries
    Yes add some black to make your fabrics pop even more.

I think it will look awesome. Please show when it is finished.

It will look wonderful. I love batiks and you will love the finished product. I prefer a solid white for the background instead of a WOW. I think it goes better with the fabrics.

Blog Entries
    I think it's very nice of you to make a quilt for yoru ds's gf. If she likes bright colors, will she like the black? Or is that more of your color choice to add a little bit of you into the quilt? I like bright colors, but am no so fond of black. I made a quilt a while ago for someone at work. The whole time I was using black as sashing, I kept thinking, "Ugh, so not my color preference." But it wasn't for me.
    Go forth and sew!

The bright colors and black sashing just seem to shout that this is for a young adult to me - not your grandmother's quilt at all! I hope she loves it; I think the colors are beautiful. What bright color are you going to use for the backing?

Both my DS and his GF are...hmmm...unique. Both are involved with Cutting Edge Haunted House here. It holds the record for the longest haunted house in guinness book of world records. He is a stage manager and actor and she is a make-up artist and actress there. The principle color in their wardrobes is black. Very easy to do his laundry! Both are extremely talented artists as well. She loves wild mixes of bright colors and dresses with a pop of some bright color with her black. That is why I was going with the black instead of the white.

I don't think I will have trouble using the black but I may have to wear sunglasses for the batiks! LOL
    Here is a pic from a photo shoot they did and one of my DS at work...Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think you are going to have a beautiful quilt!

Oh my! I haven't even thought about backing yet! I was so worried about putting together a top she would love. Like I said this is going to be out of my comfort zone colorwise. I really am hoping I get it right. My DD says I am stressing over it too much but I always do when I make something for a gift. She says just do my thing and that she will love it because I thought to make it for her. I am really starting to look forward to piecing this quilt thanks to all your encouragement.

My next planning stress is for my DD's BF who is a rock guitarist! At least I think if I get a focus fabric for his I can pull the rest from my stash. I already have DD and DS's laps covered.

I think it will look great....please share pic when done!

as a bright color lover I think it will be amazing with the black to set it off.

Love the batiks! Love the black for the sashing but I'd wait to choose my color on the border. It's going to be gorgeous! The pics of their photo shoot are amazing by the way!!
    Kelly

LOVE your coffee quote, but for me it's Mt. Dew!!!!! I think the colors are gorgeous and I think the black sashing will really make the colors pop!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast