Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need some help...OK a lot of help.

Love your idea of using black instead of white for the trim. I think it will set off those gorgeous colors in your layer cake. I think you've picked a great pattern and great colors.

I think it sounds perfect with the black!

And I looooove your siggy:

Quote Originally Posted by Swan Song View Post
    You haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

The bottom is just the pattern I decided to use since I could let a layer cake pick the colors. LOL I was going to go with the layer cake used in the pattern but DS said it was too tame! I thought black sashing would pop the colors. I am leaning toward the reddish purple (top row, second from the left) as a border. I am way out of my comfort zone here so all suggestions and opinions are very welcomed!
    I think your idea is outstanding. I love to work with batik & I think I would do exactly this. Can't wait to see you post the final quilt. Relax! It'll be great!!

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    Black sashing with those colors will really make them pop. Your choice of the purple would be great. It's still bright, but with the black in it, it will finish the edges off nicely.
    I think they will just go off with a bang, good luck.
    God Bless you all.
    Heather.

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    I think it's going to be awesome in bright colors with black sashing! If it were me, I would need to see the top put together before I could decide on a border/binding. Can't wait to see this one finished!
    aka Chicken McLittle

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, I'm going to be a genius!

Blog Entries
    Love batiks and bright colors, your pattern and fabric will look great!
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

As you can see from my avatar, I'm partial to brights so I think the colors will be beautiful. White sashing will tone them down, black will make them pop. I usually wait until a top is completed before I start auditioning border fabrics. Make sure to post a photo when you're done.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I think that the black will really make it pop with your choice of batiks and love your idea for the border! And, I think she will love it, so stop stressing and get busy! lol She is one lucky girl.
    Don't forget to post a picture when it is finished.
    Have a blessed day.

Linda

WOW - Just marelvous fabrics, the black will really make them pop, great job and thank you for sharing.
    Have a Blessed day
    Ellen

She'll probably like it. I just finnished a quilt for the quilt for quilter's swap and it has similar colors, bright batiks and kona black.My family loves how it turned out and so do others that have seen it. I used gold metalics to quilts designs in the blocks. Here is a pictue of the top finnished.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Annaquilts; 07-11-2012 at 05:49 AM.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy View Post
    I think it will just perfect! Black sashing will set it off!
    I agree with the black sashing vs the white.
    Quilting makes me happy!..

Power Poster
    I love the quilt pattern, I am sure that it will be great.
    SueDor

The black will really go with the bright colors. It will look great.

looks like a plan

I was in a class on EQ7 and for one of the exercises I created a quilt with bright layer cake blocks, sashed in black with lighter cornerstones. Showed the border the same width as the sashing (in black also). This was totally out of my normal style so I was so surprised how much I loved it. Just added another one to my list.....I bet you'll like this when you get it together. For sure your son's girl friend will love it!

I love the color choices. The border would look great if you put a narrow (1/2 to 1 inch) border of one of the lighter colors between the black and outer border. Looking forward to pics of the finished quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    Black sashing with those colors will really make them pop. Your choice of the purple would be great. It's still bright, but with the black in it, it will finish the edges off nicely.
    I agree with gramajo................

Those are beautiful batiks and there's enough difference in value and contrasting colors to make the quilt stunning. Sashing with black will make it even more gorgeous
    Kathleen, a lass with a bit of the Irish in her blood and a whole lot of Irish in her heart

You might want to add some fabrics that aren't as bright as the ones you have for contrast (not pastels, but something less intense). With all colors the same intensity I fear it will look like just a muddle of colors. (I've made the same mistake with pastels. Each one was beautiful, but when squished all together you couldn't see the block patterns at all. Try a couple of sample blocks to be safe.

Oh my, how absolutely gorgeous that will be!!!

I think so, you have a good selection of lights and darks. With the black background it should be great.

Blog Entries
    i love brights! and those tonga treats are going to bounce off the black! use the dark purple fro the backing. i have to admit, i love timeless treasures tonga line! i unabashedly love being a brights person. doubt i will ever be a serene quilter. lol
    The only bad days are the ones you don't get.

Blog Entries
    I think it will be beautiful. I love batiks and black with batiks is stunning. Go for it!
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

Blog Entries
    If you have any pieces left from each fabric I think a piano key border would be striking against the black sashing. It would bring all your colors together on the border. But, don't know if you have enough fabric for that.

The bottom is just the pattern I decided to use since I could let a layer cake pick the colors. LOL I was going to go with the layer cake used in the pattern but DS said it was too tame! I thought black sashing would pop the colors. I am leaning toward the reddish purple (top row, second from the left) as a border. I am way out of my comfort zone here so all suggestions and opinions are very welcomed!
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

Love those batiks! I think they'd look really pretty with black!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast