Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Never has there been a more wonky quilt! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/never-has-there-been-more-wonky-quilt-t18474.html)

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 04-02-2009 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, so, in my defence, it hasn't been properly ironed, but I don't think I can coax this one into doing what I want. My boders were not pp (can you tell) so the points don't match up with my center. At least it will be well loved :)

mrsj82 04-02-2009 02:41 PM

You know what? As long as it is warm, I honestly don't think it's going to matter. I love the pattern, it's awesome!

And you can whip it into submission! LOL :shock:

Debbie1 04-02-2009 02:43 PM

I think it turned out really nice. I love the design. I'm sure it will be well loved, if not I'll send you my address!

BlueChicken 04-02-2009 02:48 PM

I love it! Love the colours, love the pattern, it's awesome.

By the time you get a backing on it, and get it quilted, and there's that galloping horse thing....

it will be fine! :-)

beachlady 04-02-2009 02:58 PM

Love that pattern and fabric. Your friend is going to love it - wonky or not. Press the wonkiness out!!

BlueChicken 04-02-2009 03:00 PM

I'm reminded of something my partner says when I point out the defects or things not working in our classic car (it's a 1963 so regularly breaks down).

He says "it's not a defect, it's character!"

;-)

Crissie 04-02-2009 03:15 PM

Melanie ....
Maybe I can be of some help? I'm not trying to be a know it all! I love your colors and the pattern is such a great choice. I quilted a quilt for a lady some time ago and I could not get it to lay right, later I found out she just cut the width for the border she wanted and stitched it to the sides and cut the length. Did you measure the width and the length? Some people take three measurements both ways.
I made a quilt for my husband years ago when I first started quilting, it look pretty much the same as yours. I picked it all apart, thinking I had forgot to square up my blocks...That still thing, that still didn't help! It was black on borders so I was able to hide the error by taking small darts and you can't tell. But it never did end up being a lovable quilt, the batting was wrong and it's like a moving pad... Ugly and not soft!
I hope your able to salvage your work, I showed the first picture you posted to several of my friends at our class last night and everybody loved your choice of colors. It doesn't matter how many years you quilt, or at least not for me... I always make some kind of mistake...

Happy Quilting.... You sure do work fast... I'm Mrs. Pokie, slow slow slow!

BlueChicken 04-02-2009 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Crissie
Melanie ....
Maybe I can be of some help? I'm not trying to be a know it all! I love your colors and the pattern is such a great choice. I quilted a quilt for a lady some time ago and I could not get it to lay right, later I found out she just cut the width for the border she wanted and stitched it to the sides and cut the length. Did you measure the width and the length? Some people take three measurements both ways.
I made a quilt for my husband years ago when I first started quilting, it look pretty much the same as yours. I picked it all apart, thinking I had forgot to square up my blocks...That still thing, that still didn't help! It was black on borders so I was able to hide the error by taking small darts and you can't tell. But it never did end up being a lovable quilt, the batting was wrong and it's like a moving pad... Ugly and not soft!
I hope your able to salvage your work, I showed the first picture you posted to several of my friends at our class last night and everybody loved your choice of colors. It doesn't matter how many years you quilt, or at least not for me... I always make some kind of mistake...

Happy Quilting.... You sure do work fast... I'm Mrs. Pokie, slow slow slow!

I've found that too... I used to just sew the borders on and then cut them to length. But it is much better to measure and cut THEN sew them on, it keeps the whole thing flatter and squarer.

Still loving the quilt, and would love to do this pattern. Is it freely available?

littlehud 04-02-2009 06:16 PM

I think that pattern is awesome and I am sure when it is finished it will be a thing of beauty as are all your quilts.

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 04-02-2009 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
I've found that too... I used to just sew the borders on and then cut them to length. But it is much better to measure and cut THEN sew them on, it keeps the whole thing flatter and squarer.

Still loving the quilt, and would love to do this pattern. Is it freely available?

I got it at quilters cache, it's called irish plaid.
http://www.quilterscache.com/I/IrishPlaidBlock.html

thanks everyone, for all your comments and suggestions.
I think I'm going to try to cleverly place some darts and stuff, and with the close meandering quilting I plan to put on it, hopefully it's not going to show up too much.