Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Never has there been a more wonky quilt!

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Ok, so, in my defence, it hasn't been properly ironed, but I don't think I can coax this one into doing what I want. My boders were not pp (can you tell) so the points don't match up with my center. At least it will be well loved :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

You know what? As long as it is warm, I honestly don't think it's going to matter. I love the pattern, it's awesome!

And you can whip it into submission! LOL :shock:

I think it turned out really nice. I love the design. I'm sure it will be well loved, if not I'll send you my address!

I love it! Love the colours, love the pattern, it's awesome.

By the time you get a backing on it, and get it quilted, and there's that galloping horse thing....

it will be fine! :-)

Love that pattern and fabric. Your friend is going to love it - wonky or not. Press the wonkiness out!!

I'm reminded of something my partner says when I point out the defects or things not working in our classic car (it's a 1963 so regularly breaks down).

He says "it's not a defect, it's character!"

;-)

Melanie ....
    Maybe I can be of some help? I'm not trying to be a know it all! I love your colors and the pattern is such a great choice. I quilted a quilt for a lady some time ago and I could not get it to lay right, later I found out she just cut the width for the border she wanted and stitched it to the sides and cut the length. Did you measure the width and the length? Some people take three measurements both ways.
    I made a quilt for my husband years ago when I first started quilting, it look pretty much the same as yours. I picked it all apart, thinking I had forgot to square up my blocks...That still thing, that still didn't help! It was black on borders so I was able to hide the error by taking small darts and you can't tell. But it never did end up being a lovable quilt, the batting was wrong and it's like a moving pad... Ugly and not soft!
    I hope your able to salvage your work, I showed the first picture you posted to several of my friends at our class last night and everybody loved your choice of colors. It doesn't matter how many years you quilt, or at least not for me... I always make some kind of mistake...

Happy Quilting.... You sure do work fast... I'm Mrs. Pokie, slow slow slow!

Quote Originally Posted by Crissie
    Melanie ....
    Maybe I can be of some help? I'm not trying to be a know it all! I love your colors and the pattern is such a great choice. I quilted a quilt for a lady some time ago and I could not get it to lay right, later I found out she just cut the width for the border she wanted and stitched it to the sides and cut the length. Did you measure the width and the length? Some people take three measurements both ways.
    I made a quilt for my husband years ago when I first started quilting, it look pretty much the same as yours. I picked it all apart, thinking I had forgot to square up my blocks...That still thing, that still didn't help! It was black on borders so I was able to hide the error by taking small darts and you can't tell. But it never did end up being a lovable quilt, the batting was wrong and it's like a moving pad... Ugly and not soft!
    I hope your able to salvage your work, I showed the first picture you posted to several of my friends at our class last night and everybody loved your choice of colors. It doesn't matter how many years you quilt, or at least not for me... I always make some kind of mistake...

Happy Quilting.... You sure do work fast... I'm Mrs. Pokie, slow slow slow!
    I've found that too... I used to just sew the borders on and then cut them to length. But it is much better to measure and cut THEN sew them on, it keeps the whole thing flatter and squarer.

Still loving the quilt, and would love to do this pattern. Is it freely available?

I think that pattern is awesome and I am sure when it is finished it will be a thing of beauty as are all your quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    I've found that too... I used to just sew the borders on and then cut them to length. But it is much better to measure and cut THEN sew them on, it keeps the whole thing flatter and squarer.

Still loving the quilt, and would love to do this pattern. Is it freely available?

I got it at quilters cache, it's called irish plaid.
    http://www.quilterscache.com/I/IrishPlaidBlock.html

thanks everyone, for all your comments and suggestions.
    I think I'm going to try to cleverly place some darts and stuff, and with the close meandering quilting I plan to put on it, hopefully it's not going to show up too much.

Blog Entries
    I was hoping to see you post a picture of this when it was finished! I love how it turned out :D :D :D

I think it's beautiful!
    I'm sure you can hide the wonky parts and no one will ever know. :)

Well, I think after it is quilted it will look better. You did a great job on it too!

Blog Entries
    Put it on a feather-tick mattress where it doesn't have to lie flat. It looks lovely.

Wow love the pattern and colors.....seems like no matter what you do there is always quilts that do that.....

I too measure from the center and that is how long the strip is regardless....cut two the same wideth....fold in half and mark the center and mark the center of the quilt....I pin the centers together......and then match the ends....sometimes it behaves and lays flat and other times I halve to fudge the fabric in or pull.....a little to get it to sew right .......then repeat and do the length ....measure from the center side to side......cut two.....find the center and mark....mark the center of the quilt ...pin centers together and then ends...sew ......This is one of the things I have learned in a quilting class....."How to square a Quilt"........

Don't mean to sound like a know it all ....but you asked....I hope it helps......and it has worked really great for me......but I still once in a blue moon have some problems......Good luck and hope you try this idea......:-)....

Really a great quilt! I love the pattern and I know you will work out your problem.

ahhh didn't mean to sound bossy.......:-(

Quote Originally Posted by gcathie
    ahhh didn't mean to sound bossy.......:-(
    I had to go back and search for your post, couldn't remember you sounding bossy, and I was right, you didn't. :-)

It's something special about this place, the advice given is always helpful and friendly, never pushy or bossy.

Gee .. I would like to say something too .. to help, not sound bossy either.

I certainly am not a know it all, and I have never taken a class. But... I read everthing I can get my hands on.

I do it the same as gcathie does. Measure across the center, cut the strips that size, pin the center and the ends and then in between. Then if one side is a little more fabric than the other of the pinned seamline I make the adjustment needed by putting the side with the extra fabric (baggy pants) to the feed dogs. It will bring it in to the shorter side and this way I avoid pulling. Oh, I use a stelleto to help guide the top fabric too.

If all else fails, I just say oh it is terrible fabric. Yeah, that's it .. I blame the fabric! :twisted:

Beautiful pattern and colors.
    My quilts did the same,untill I was learned the gcathie way.
    When paper-piecing, I always use freezer paper and I donīt take the paper away before the quilt is framed all way round. I think paper piecing is easily growing because you not always use thred direction (my poor english). If you use freezer paper it will stick to the fabric, and you will have no stretch in it. When framed, there is no problem.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I get wonky borders because I have up til now just slapped em on and trimmed afterwards but only yesterday I read in a book the method Cathie describes! Will do that NEXT time! Meanwhile back at the quilt - I love it, such a stunning design! So stunning that the wonkiness WILL NOT be apparent when it's quilted - was going to suggest quilting it to death, but you already thought of that! LOL LOVE IT!

K x

I too measure from the center and that is how long the strip is regardless....cut two the same wideth....fold in half and mark the center and mark the center of the quilt....I pin the centers together......and then match the ends....
    That's the way I do it too except I measure both sides. They have been off by as much as 3/8"--how the heck does that happen :shock: Then I take the averge of the 2 sides and cut 2 border strips the same length. Pin in the middle, then on the ends, then just keep pinning and adjusting the fabric if I feel something lumpy.

I'm sure you guys are rght about the brown border, I should have measured across the middle, then cut it, that's the way I usually do it, but I didn't this time.

However, I think my real problem here is the inside border, it's kind of hard to explain on here, but if you look close, you will see that I have 12 identical blocks in the middle, and those are pp, and then I tried to copy the pattern onto the first border and I kind of had to make it up as I went along. You can see that my inner border does not actually line up with my center... I'm guessing if I take off both borders, square up all my rectangles in my inner border, and put it back on, I think it might end up more square. I'm not sure I'm willing to put in that much effort, though, lol!

AAAArrrrgh, ok, maybe I should, I just hate ripping out seams.

Quote Originally Posted by gcathie
    Wow love the pattern and colors.....seems like no matter what you do there is always quilts that do that.....

I too measure from the center and that is how long the strip is regardless....cut two the same wideth....fold in half and mark the center and mark the center of the quilt....I pin the centers together......and then match the ends....sometimes it behaves and lays flat and other times I halve to fudge the fabric in or pull.....a little to get it to sew right .......then repeat and do the length ....measure from the center side to side......cut two.....find the center and mark....mark the center of the quilt ...pin centers together and then ends...sew ......This is one of the things I have learned in a quilting class....."How to square a Quilt"........

Don't mean to sound like a know it all ....but you asked....I hope it helps......and it has worked really great for me......but I still once in a blue moon have some problems......Good luck and hope you try this idea......:-)....
    I agree and not trying to be a know it all also. This works for me. Also if you have more fabric on one side meaning top or botton of the quilt/border adding on try putting the longer fabric side down to the machine with feed dogs touching. The feed dogs will help take up the excess. But take the first steps as gcathie does. should come out better. You put all the time any money into it I would rip out the borders and redue using this method. Hope it works.

Sorry I didn't see what RG had said. Just trying to help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast