Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Never has there been a more wonky quilt! >

Never has there been a more wonky quilt!

Never has there been a more wonky quilt!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:03 AM
k3n
Power Poster

I get wonky borders because I have up til now just slapped em on and trimmed afterwards but only yesterday I read in a book the method Cathie describes! Will do that NEXT time! Meanwhile back at the quilt - I love it, such a stunning design! So stunning that the wonkiness WILL NOT be apparent when it's quilted - was going to suggest quilting it to death, but you already thought of that! LOL LOVE IT!

K x
Old 04-03-2009, 01:12 AM

I too measure from the center and that is how long the strip is regardless....cut two the same wideth....fold in half and mark the center and mark the center of the quilt....I pin the centers together......and then match the ends....
That's the way I do it too except I measure both sides. They have been off by as much as 3/8"--how the heck does that happen :shock: Then I take the averge of the 2 sides and cut 2 border strips the same length. Pin in the middle, then on the ends, then just keep pinning and adjusting the fabric if I feel something lumpy.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:42 AM

I'm sure you guys are rght about the brown border, I should have measured across the middle, then cut it, that's the way I usually do it, but I didn't this time.

However, I think my real problem here is the inside border, it's kind of hard to explain on here, but if you look close, you will see that I have 12 identical blocks in the middle, and those are pp, and then I tried to copy the pattern onto the first border and I kind of had to make it up as I went along. You can see that my inner border does not actually line up with my center... I'm guessing if I take off both borders, square up all my rectangles in my inner border, and put it back on, I think it might end up more square. I'm not sure I'm willing to put in that much effort, though, lol!

AAAArrrrgh, ok, maybe I should, I just hate ripping out seams.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by gcathie
Wow love the pattern and colors.....seems like no matter what you do there is always quilts that do that.....

I too measure from the center and that is how long the strip is regardless....cut two the same wideth....fold in half and mark the center and mark the center of the quilt....I pin the centers together......and then match the ends....sometimes it behaves and lays flat and other times I halve to fudge the fabric in or pull.....a little to get it to sew right .......then repeat and do the length ....measure from the center side to side......cut two.....find the center and mark....mark the center of the quilt ...pin centers together and then ends...sew ......This is one of the things I have learned in a quilting class....."How to square a Quilt"........

Don't mean to sound like a know it all ....but you asked....I hope it helps......and it has worked really great for me......but I still once in a blue moon have some problems......Good luck and hope you try this idea......:-)....
I agree and not trying to be a know it all also. This works for me. Also if you have more fabric on one side meaning top or botton of the quilt/border adding on try putting the longer fabric side down to the machine with feed dogs touching. The feed dogs will help take up the excess. But take the first steps as gcathie does. should come out better. You put all the time any money into it I would rip out the borders and redue using this method. Hope it works.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:33 AM

Sorry I didn't see what RG had said. Just trying to help.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:45 AM
Power Poster

I really love your design and you always do such a fabulous job. I have 1 right now that I've just done the exact same thing. The worst part is that I knew better to start with!! I didn't press it yesterday when I finished it, but I think it might be a little wonky when I do. I think you should just bite the bullet, get the ripper out and go for it. You'll be much more satisfied with it in the end. Thats what I'm going to do....GGRRRRR :roll:
Old 04-03-2009, 05:41 AM

I think it looks very nice regardless of it's slight imperfection. That is like the Amish always make a mistake in the quilt so it isn't perfect...because only God is perfect...
[I may have messed up that saying,,,no coffee)

I like it, and whoever you give it to will not know about the problem you had...
Old 04-03-2009, 07:30 AM

I love it just the way it is.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:49 AM

A mistake is proof that someone tried to accomplish something.
Your quilt is really great! A very complex pattern in the block that will only attract more attention to the center than the edges, where I have found ... the final darts end up under my binding. If I were in your place, I would definitely pin the binding, easing in the "flow" of the border to evenly space the ruffling effect.
I have come to appreciate the advice about measuring the center of the quilt both ways and making the border be that size. It is our final chance to control the outcome, and well worth the extra time it takes.
I completed a "Victory" quilt (elenor burns) making myself absolutely follow all of the directions - - she made a believer out of me about knowing the size of the border ... my borders were spot on.
YOu have done a lot of good work on your quilt. Celebrate your accomplishment, learn from the not so perfect parts, and move on. Nothing ever will get anything but better.
Not to be a party pooper, but ... you could take the border off and do the measuring, etc ... there is always that option <g>.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:51 AM

By the way, I don't take anybody's post as being bossy, or "know it all"
The reason I come on here and ask questions is because most people here know a lot better than me :) Everyone always has such great suggestions :P