Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Newbie's turn to share! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/newbies-turn-share-t48150.html)

redquilter 06-03-2010 06:24 AM

That's amazing and so beautiful.

Pam 06-03-2010 06:35 AM

Thanks for showing this to the kids. That is one way to make sure the art of quilting goes on!

paintedquilt 06-03-2010 07:27 AM

WOW :thumbup:

redrummy 06-03-2010 07:36 AM

very good idea, excellent work by both you and your students.

pab58 06-03-2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
Wow, that turned out wonderful. I am not sure if maybe our church youth group might be interested in this type of project. To clarify, when they put their name on the block did the letters touch or did they leave a space between? I assume that they wrote their name in any direction they wanted it to go.

Take a square of paper. We used printer/copy paper. Fold it into a square. Then fold the square into a triangle, fold that into a triangle, and fold that into a triangle. You will end up with one fold along one side and the other folds "stacked" up on the other side. The letters must touch the single fold, but do not need to touch the "stacked" folds, but they can if that is how you choose to draw your design. Is this making ANY sense?? :? Cut all around the outer edges of the letters, but be very careful not to cut between them. The flakes won't hold together if you cut between the letters. Cut out any openings in letters (i.e. the opening in the letter "P") I've even made nameflakes using script/cursive letters -- really pretty done this way!! :thumbup:

I was thinking I could post pictures of the process if anyone would want me to do that. I just made a nameflake (Patty) using simple bubble-shaped letters. I worked from the open end of the triangle to the pointed end. The design would come out quite differently if I work in the other direction (i.e. pointed end to open end). There are sections in it that look like little hearts. I used uppercase letters. Any style letter would work. Some come out so intricate, others a bit boxy, and still others are a little jagged. I had one of my other students draw an island with a palm tree in the middle -- too cute! Unfortunately, that class missed the deadline for the flakes. A few students had to use manicure scissors to cut out the really small spaces in their designs. The more intricate the design the more tedious the process. All of my students were very pleased with the results of their nameflakes. I actually created "monsters" becaues they became quite addicted to making them. The 7th grade class read Treasure Island this year, and one of the girls made a nameflake of the title! It was beautiful and hung in the classroom for a couple of months.

I hope you understand a bit better about the process. Let me know if you would like pics of the steps involved.

Patty 8-)

MamaBear61 06-03-2010 09:44 AM

Yes please on the pics.
Thanks,
Lori

pab58 06-03-2010 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by gaigai
That is truly beautiful! Although I have to admit that I cannot make out a single letter, name, or image. They look like abstract snowflakes to me!

The key -- from left to right then top to bottom:
flower (the flower is not the "o" in the word flower -- it's simply a flower between a couple of the letters), Andrew, cameras (images of them), Rebecca Kerby, reading (also has open books with ribbon bookmarks sticking out of the binding), Megan, Lisa, Family (the word family), Joanna, love dogs (a heart and dog in each section), cooking, Jessica.

I agree that they are difficult to see the name or design -- except for the cameras. Most of them really do look like interesting snowflake designs. One method we used when looking at the black flakes was to section off the name or design with our hands. We angled our hands to make an open triangle and placed them on either side of the name or design. Remember that one side is right-side-up, and the other side is the mirror image. 8-)

We're glad you like our little quilt.

sahm4605 06-03-2010 09:58 AM

wish I was in your class. I think that they are probably old enough to do some actual quilting on it if you start the project at the beginning of the school year.

Jim's Gem 06-03-2010 10:08 AM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!!
Great quilt!! What a wonderful project for your students!!

Rhonda 06-03-2010 10:24 AM

I would love to see the blocks the kids made up close. Is that possible? The quilt is absolutely incredible!