Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Newbie's turn to share! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/newbies-turn-share-t48150.html)

pab58 06-02-2010 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, I hope this works! This is an auction quilt that I put together with the assistance of my 8th grade students this year. The "flakes" are actually their names and their favorite things -- really! We called them Nameflakes instead of snowflakes. They first made them out of paper then I gave them squares of black fabric that had fusible web on the back of it. They opened out their paper flakes and secured them to the black fabric block. Then they had to cut out the spaces. Their next task was to fuse the completed black flake onto their choice of fabric. They all seemed to gravitate towards brights, and I think the colors worked out pretty well. My job was to stitch the flakes (on every edge of the flakes!!) so they would be secure, put the blocks together, put the quilt sandwich together, and then have them tie the quilt. I certainly would have preferred that the quilt be quilted, but they wanted to have a bigger part in its construction. I wanted them to be able to do as much as they could so the item would be their work, too. One of the girls in the class won it. Sorry that it's sideways, but I couldn't get my software to cooperate to rotate it. :oops:

Patty

bearisgray 06-02-2010 06:20 PM

It looks sort of Celtic.

What a clever idea - it's very striking and attractive.

charwhit 06-02-2010 06:22 PM

very pretty and unique your students should be proud of themselves.

LindaM 06-02-2010 06:23 PM

Nameflakes - wonderful! What a great project - and it's beautiful.

How did you translate the letters into these shapes?

JudyG 06-02-2010 06:23 PM

What a great project for your class. It turned out beautiful. You should be very proud.

sewgull 06-02-2010 06:31 PM

You are a wonderful teacher. Your students will remember your class forever.

zkosh 06-02-2010 06:32 PM

Wonderful! They will never forget having created this quilt, either. :thumbup:

CarrieAnne 06-02-2010 06:33 PM

What a neat project. Great quilt!

CarrieAnne 06-02-2010 06:33 PM

What a neat project. Great quilt!

pab58 06-02-2010 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by LindaM
Nameflakes - wonderful! What a great project - and it's beautiful.

How did you translate the letters into these shapes?

I'm glad you like it. They loved it! They couldn't believe that it turned out so well. They all wanted to win it at the auction. They told the student who did win the quilt that she had to bring it in so they could take turns wrapping themselves up in it!

In order to make the flakes they folded their paper the same as for making a snowflake then drew whatever style letters they liked on the paper. Some chose bubble letters and others more of a block style. Once the paper is opened (just as you would do a snowflake) the letters are connected in most places. For example, the "fancy" one on the purple background reads: Rebecca Kerby. I think it's probably my favorite one. The one right next to it on the pink background is also hers. They are cameras because she likes to take pictures.

Believe it or not there were supposed to be three of these quilts, but the other two classes did not complete their paper nameflakes and turn them in by the deadline I had set. Oh, well. Lesson learned for them. They were so disappointed once they saw the finished 8th grade quilt. If I were to do another quilt -- or quilts -- next year, I'm sure they won't miss the deadline again! :lol: