Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   OBWs - First Attempt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/obws-first-attempt-t27220.html)

amma 10-18-2009 07:16 AM

WOW!!! Those are all gorgeous!!! Good Job!!! :D :D :D

Sandy1951 10-18-2009 07:22 AM

Very pretty! I like the bird fabric, too.

kay carlson 10-18-2009 07:34 AM

I think your blocks are delightful. Yup, I hope to make OBW a handsewing project after the first of the year when I retire. I have read - somewhere - perhaps on this board - that the right hand side of the printed fabric is usually in alignment. Some people just use only the right hand side after cutting the fabric in half lengthwise.

In any case, your work is beautiful. What size triangles are you cutting? You mentioned the triangles for the bird print were large. Have you found an optimum size for your second endeavor?

Much happiness to you and your family :)

fireworkslover 10-18-2009 08:36 AM

I'm hooked on this style of quilt making. I've made 4 so far and have bought more fabric for more, of which I don't know if I want to admit how many. One thing I really like, is that they can be assembled so quickly. I cut repeats, strips and pieced half hexagons together in 4 1/2 hours. I too, enjoy how much the original fabric can appear so different, with this method. I generally make art quilts and this method really fits the need for playing with color and pattern.

fireworkslover 10-18-2009 08:44 AM

It's not hard to line up your fabric. Just pick a spot where there's a sharp point in the pattern, one that's easily identified, that's where you stick the pin thru on each layer. Also, don't wash your fabric, but do iron it to get out any wrinkles as well as the fold from being on the bolt. If you pin carefully, the fabric strips stay alligned. Follow the directions in the book "One Block Wonders" by Maxine Rosenthal, and you won't be disappointed.

ranger 10-18-2009 09:50 AM

Such pretty fabric....those little birds are so cute. The OBW sure makes for some beautiful blocks.

ranger

b.zang 10-18-2009 10:13 AM

Wel, well, well. I think those plum blocks are just plummy! Will you use English paper piecing to put these blocks together, now?

SulaBug 10-18-2009 12:36 PM

Suzi,
You are such an inspiration, this afternoon, to me!! :D
I recently bought this book & am stalling, getting
started. I just need to jump in, huh? :D Your blocks
are beautiful!! Thank you for sharing.
:D :D :D :D

n2scraplvr 10-18-2009 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Great job - I think the chickadee is the set I like best.

I'm with you Moonpi! Those chickadees can't be beat! Way to go, Suzic! You've done great so far and such beautiful variety!!!! :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:

cutebuns 10-18-2009 06:56 PM

Those are great!!!!! I love them, please don't be like me and get carried away with cutting them small!