Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   OMG! I never intended to design it like this! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/omg-i-never-intended-design-like-t63558.html)

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by SueDor
Worse come to worse, you could make placemats with them

That's an idea!! I think I like the idea of treating them like a Dresden Plate, on black, appliqued on. What an oddity!! We'll all come up with the perfect answer!!

:-D

mrspete 09-07-2010 03:12 PM

Lands sakes, I think it is gorgeous. I wouldn't known if you had not pointed it out. Love ya heart, you are too hard on yourself.

Blessings in disguise!

Ruth

Lady Tapioca 09-07-2010 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by n2scraplvr

Originally Posted by Lady Tapioca
Could you put them together like rectangles instead of '7'agons?

ETA: Oops......didn't pick up that they are already sewn. Sorry :oops:

You were right!! They aren't all sewed together, just individually they are. The blocks are all just laying out relaxing and waiting to see what I'll do with them. hahah. I don't think they will fit together, 2 will, maybe 3 will, but 4 won't go. Yikes.

:D

I was thinking of alternating them pointy end to flat end (does that make any sense?)

MiniCC 09-07-2010 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by zyxquilts
You could always put it together however it will go, then turn under the raw edges 1/4" & machine applique it onto a background - maybe a black one... ? :D
It is very cool looking!

I was thinking the same thing :)

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by mrspete
Lands sakes, I think it is gorgeous. I wouldn't known if you had not pointed it out. Love ya heart, you are too hard on yourself.

Blessings in disguise!

Ruth

Yes, I am too hard on myself! Thank you so much, mrspete! Love your encouragement!! I think it might have a chance at becoming something -- just not sure what right now. I'll be sure and let you guys see the final result!!

:-D :wink: :wink: :thumbup:

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by MiniCC

Originally Posted by zyxquilts
You could always put it together however it will go, then turn under the raw edges 1/4" & machine applique it onto a background - maybe a black one... ? :D
It is very cool looking!

I was thinking the same thing :)

Yes, I think I'll go with this idea! Love the black background idea too!

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 05:00 PM

Could you put them together like rectangles instead of '7'agons?

ETA: Oops......didn't pick up that they are already sewn. Sorry :oops:

You were right!! They aren't all sewed together, just individually they are. The blocks are all just laying out relaxing and waiting to see what I'll do with them. hahah. I don't think they will fit together, 2 will, maybe 3 will, but 4 won't go. Yikes.

I was thinking of alternating them pointy end to flat end (does that make any sense?)

I'm still trying to figure that out! You mean flipflop them?? I have 3 circular units so far and I just laid them together so you could see the possibility of them adjoining one another. But because of their odd number, it won't work for 4 units together. there's a gap of a few inches that would need a plug! lol.

:-D

Lady Tapioca 09-07-2010 06:34 PM

[quote=n2scraplvr You mean flipflop them??

:-D[/quote]

yes, I thought if you flip-flopped them, they might make
rectangles that would fit together and form a cool light/dark pattern

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 06:50 PM

[quote=Lady Tapioca]

Originally Posted by n2scraplvr You mean flipflop them??

:-D[/quote

yes, I thought if you flip-flopped them, they might make
rectangles that would fit together and form a cool light/dark pattern

I just tried it with 2 of them and it becomes a parallelogram! That just gave me a great idea! It now looks like a block from the 20's called String Star that's made of all scraps. The only difference between the SS and mine is the scraps run vertically instead of horizontally. So if I put 6 of these stars together in a spiral, it will look fantastic! Alot better than an odd-shaped K block that doesn't fit together too well. Another thing is that it's hard to get the center points together adequately with 7 wedges. So now I'm leaning to your idea. The shape now resembles a kite so it would pass well for a String Star quilt. haha. I think. haha. :-D :-D

catmcclure 09-08-2010 03:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Yes, I really did design a 7-SIDED KALEIDOSCOPE BLOCK!!! I remember that day in Dec. when I did lots of circles, angles, patterns and when I laid it out, I couldn't get the 8th wedge in!!! Oh no....that means either two darks or two lights come together in the block. I continued anyway. I tore pages out of a phone book, drew my patterns, strip pieced the wedge, laid the pattern on top, cut it out adding 1/4" around, and voila....7 sides instead of 8! Must've grabbed the wrong pattern!! haha. What do we do now????? What was I thinking???? I now have an odd quilt. I just laid the blocks out all sewn together except the bottom left is just laid out for now. We'll make the best of it!! We can turn it around!! I hope. Thanks for looking at my K block gone bad! :oops: :oops: :roll:

If you add strips of white, black, or red to "square up" each block you would get a really neat septagon - star - diamond as in this diagram.

Septagon
[ATTACH=CONFIG]113449[/ATTACH]