Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   OMG! I never intended to design it like this! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/omg-i-never-intended-design-like-t63558.html)

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, I really did design a 7-SIDED KALEIDOSCOPE BLOCK!!! I remember that day in Dec. when I did lots of circles, angles, patterns and when I laid it out, I couldn't get the 8th wedge in!!! Oh no....that means either two darks or two lights come together in the block. I continued anyway. I tore pages out of a phone book, drew my patterns, strip pieced the wedge, laid the pattern on top, cut it out adding 1/4" around, and voila....7 sides instead of 8! Must've grabbed the wrong pattern!! haha. What do we do now????? What was I thinking???? I now have an odd quilt. I just laid the blocks out all sewn together except the bottom left is just laid out for now. We'll make the best of it!! We can turn it around!! I hope. Thanks for looking at my K block gone bad! :oops: :oops: :roll:

zyxquilts 09-07-2010 02:02 PM

You could always put it together however it will go, then turn under the raw edges 1/4" & machine applique it onto a background - maybe a black one... ? :D
It is very cool looking!

nativetexan 09-07-2010 02:06 PM

we all make wonderful things out of our "accidents".
keep going, it will be beautiful.

amandasgramma 09-07-2010 02:15 PM

It looks okay, too...BUT if you move one piece, it might be okay (note: MIGHT)....on the bottom left piece....there's a red next to the empty space...switch that with the light blue and see what happens??????

Oh - never mind...then you'd have 2 lights together!!! Yeah, black background...that'd work!

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by zyxquilts
You could always put it together however it will go, then turn under the raw edges 1/4" & machine applique it onto a background - maybe a black one... ? :D
It is very cool looking!

I like that idea!! Black background sounds perfect and applique it on like a Dresden Plate? That may work great. I am now skeptical that it won't come together like it's pictured because of the odd size. thank you, zyx, I think I'll go with your idea!!

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
we all make wonderful things out of our "accidents".
keep going, it will be beautiful.

that's so true! Thank you!

:D

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
It looks okay, too...BUT if you move one piece, it might be okay (note: MIGHT)....on the bottom left piece....there's a red next to the empty space...switch that with the light blue and see what happens??????

Oh - never mind...then you'd have 2 lights together!!! Yeah, black background...that'd work!

Yes, I have my choice in each block to either put 2 darks side by side or 2 lights. I can choose 2 darks and my 2nd dark would be all MED. darks to distinguish one from another. That could work well. I can tell this project is going to be fun. I can picture me making a wheel out of this, adding a body, and making it look like a gigantic WAGON!!! I'll fill it with flowers then! haha.

:-D :D

Lady Tapioca 09-07-2010 02:41 PM

Could you put them together like rectangles instead of '7'agons?

ETA: Oops......didn't pick up that they are already sewn. Sorry :oops:

SueDor 09-07-2010 02:50 PM

Worse come to worse, you could make placemats with them

n2scraplvr 09-07-2010 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Tapioca
Could you put them together like rectangles instead of '7'agons?

ETA: Oops......didn't pick up that they are already sewn. Sorry :oops:

You were right!! They aren't all sewed together, just individually they are. The blocks are all just laying out relaxing and waiting to see what I'll do with them. hahah. I don't think they will fit together, 2 will, maybe 3 will, but 4 won't go. Yikes.

:D