Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Our Challenge Block Swap will be extended March 15th 2009 / update from Bebe 1/18!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/our-challenge-block-swap-will-extended-march-15th-2009-update-bebe-1-18-a-t8410.html)

Elizabeth A. 07-04-2008 03:32 PM

Puzwiz, glad to here Bebe was able to help you. That's one great thing about our little challenge!

What a great compliment Nellie!

bebe 07-04-2008 06:10 PM

Glad it worked for you Puzwhiz!!!! Okay now make the block and post it okay???????

Puzwhiz 07-04-2008 06:17 PM

LOL I'm almost done. My hip starting bothering me, so I quit for the night. It'll be done tomorrow. Yea!

Cordelia 07-04-2008 08:15 PM

I hate to be the village idiot, but I made a block today and I followed all the instructions and it came out 12 inches.

So, then I tried to add half an inch to the cuttings, but in patterns with half square triangles, I ran into major problems.

I added a border around the one square I did, but I think I'm going to have to redo it.

The other block I attempted, the bear tracks, was a disaster. I'm afraid I'm not much good at this stuff. I don't know how to sew these blocks so they'll be 12.5 inches and I thoroughly messed up when I tried.

What are you all doing to get 12.5 inches on 12 blocks?????

beachlady 07-05-2008 03:36 AM

Cordelia, I have made 5 of the blocks and have a 6th in production and they all came out 12.5 inches. I am very careful with the 1/4" seam and so far all has worked fine. That is my only suggestion.

sandpat 07-05-2008 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Cordelia
I hate to be the village idiot, but I made a block today and I followed all the instructions and it came out 12 inches.

So, then I tried to add half an inch to the cuttings, but in patterns with half square triangles, I ran into major problems.

I added a border around the one square I did, but I think I'm going to have to redo it.

The other block I attempted, the bear tracks, was a disaster. I'm afraid I'm not much good at this stuff. I don't know how to sew these blocks so they'll be 12.5 inches and I thoroughly messed up when I tried.

Cordelia, I've been in the same boat as you. I made the butterfly block and once it was too small and the next time...too big. So I'm thinking that I will be much more careful about the 1/4" on my next attempt. I think that maybe I'll cut each block 1/8" larger than necessary, then cut them down as I go. I also think I'll measure each component before I sew all those suckers together. My seam ripper gets enough of a workout. But...this is great for me since I'll learn how to be better. :wink:

Cordelia 07-05-2008 05:10 AM

That's the first thing my mom said, check your 1/4 inch seams. I measured them, they were 1/4 inch seams.

I followed the directions, measured them, 12 inch block.

The site said a block is 12 inches, that's what I ended up with.

I just may have to put 1/2 inch borders around my blocks if I can't get them to 12.5 inches. I don't know what else to do.

ddrobins1956 07-05-2008 05:32 AM

Has anyone made the Housewife block yet, for ccbear? I have it cut out and it looked simple enough, but I'm having trouble getting it together.
HELP!......lol

quiltwoman 07-05-2008 06:51 AM

Cordelia,
A few ideas that might help.

On a scrap piece of fabric, sew what you think your 1/4 seam is. Then measure it. You want a scant 1/4 because when you press your seam open, you lose a little on each side. That little bit can compound over time.

If you have some scrap blocks, try this. Cut them to 4 inches. Then w/ a pencil and your handy dandy ruler, mark your 1/4 seams. Sew on the inside of your drawn line. Press and measure and see if you can get a 12.5 inch row.

Clear as mud?

barbsbus 07-05-2008 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cordelia

Doo you press each section as you do them? This makes a big difference for me. It is amazing how much bigger the pieces are after they are pressed. I also try to sew 1 thread much from the quarter line. Just a smiggen makes abig difference. I also have a worn out seam ripper. LOL Good thing they are not too expensive.