Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Patty's first ever Round Robin quilt completed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/pattys-first-ever-round-robin-quilt-completed-t38627.html)

grammypatty7 03-08-2010 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by wraez
Patty...Oh Yes, I see it now on your sofa. I didn't read thru all the replies, I only saw your original photo posting.

Still loving your quilt the more I see it.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Hi Sue,
Thank you. Yes, it can be overwhelming going through all of the supplies and then when I add another photo, it goes to the end of course so you have to scroll through to see if there is more. With some of the boards I've found great links so if time allows, it's good to scroll through some. The quilt really is pretty in our living room. Just the right touch.
Patty

kd124 03-08-2010 11:55 PM

Gorgeous quilt. I am always amazed of the creativity of those that do round robins.

grammypatty7 03-09-2010 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by kd124
Gorgeous quilt. I am always amazed of the creativity of those that do round robins.

Thank you. When I saw my first round robin quilts I knew then that one day I hoped to get to participate in some.
Patty

watson's mom 03-09-2010 11:04 AM

I love the quilt in your avatar. What is the name of it. Love the colours.

grammypatty7 03-09-2010 12:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by watson's mom
I love the quilt in your avatar. What is the name of it. Love the colours.

This is one of my favorite quilts. It was started the first year we were married, a few years later when the quilting process was a disaster I stored it away in the cedar chest until our daughter was married and I needed the cedar chest to store her wedding gown so I pulled out, tore it apart and totally reconstructed it and completed it just before our 38th wedding anniversary - hence the name of the quilt. The pattern is attached for download. It's amazingly easy to do. the squares of the quilt are hand embroidered flowers but I think this would make a perfect photo album quilt. It's amazingly quick and easy to do and this is the 1st of 3 quilts I've done using this pattern. Thank you for liking it. It is one of 6 that I have kept. All of my other quilts have been given away as soon as they were completed but I do love this pattern. I saw this frame (see pattern 1) and thought this would be a perfect way to frame my flowered squares. I did NOT comprehend the stars until I started sewing the squares together and oh my, what a surprise. It was in a magazine wayyyyyy back. The quilt was started in 1964 and I think I tried quilting it a couple of years later but didn't find this pattern until our daughter got married and she's been married 18 years so that was a long time ago.
Hugs
Patty

Patty's 38 year quilt - my avatar
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3177[/ATTACH]

pattern for 38 year quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3178[/ATTACH]

pattern 2 for 38 year quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3179[/ATTACH]

watson's mom 03-09-2010 01:48 PM

Thank you so much for the pattern. I does not look too difficult so I will certainly try my hand at it. Your quilt is beautiful and you have a lot of patience to keep as long as you did and then finish it. Thanks again. Carol

grammypatty7 03-09-2010 02:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by watson's mom
Thank you so much for the pattern. I does not look too difficult so I will certainly try my hand at it. Your quilt is beautiful and you have a lot of patience to keep as long as you did and then finish it. Thanks again. Carol

Hi Carol, You're very welcome. I had put a lot of hours into hand embroidering each of those flower squares and was determined to learn how to quilt. My husband's two very elderly grandmothers were giving me pointers and all I can say is "oh dear." LOL. We drove to Peoria, IL to buy quilt batting and couldn't find any and JoAnn's didn't know where I could get any so Don's grandmothers told me to use one of my wedding blankets for the batting. The floral pattern showed through and I tried machine quilting it and actually had it half done - it was the ugliest quilt on the planet and I just couldn't finish it so I stored it away and vowed to complete one day after I learn a whole lot more about quilting and that's exactly what I did. I completed several beautiful quilts before I had the patience to rip that one apart and totally reconstruct it. The original was the flower block, plain white block, rotation but it just didn't work at all. I just love the end result of this one remodeled and Don said I can not give it away. We don't use it. I only bring it out when company is coming for display on the bed and people do ooh and aah over it. By the way, I did use scraps to make this quilt. Below are photos of the other two quilts using this pattern. The pink and lavender quilt have a square of pretty butterfly fabric in instead of the embroidered flower squares. It's beautiful but a little too color intense for my tastes but I had a ball making it.

CW's quilt is one I refer to as CW's memories. In the white squares I hand quilted pictures representing memories in his life. He's 12 now. We relcoated from IL to FL 4 1/2 years ago and they've visited us 3 times. He had his first plane ride, horse ride, boat ride and these are depicted in the different squares but they are quilted with white thread like pictures in clouds. For his I used sports fabrics. Tried to find golf but that wasn't a year for golf fabric so most of them are everything but. It's a fun and easy pattern to do.

You cut out your squares, frame your squares which make the blocks and sew them together - as you sew, the starts are made up of the corner of the squares and is beautiful.
Patty
Have fun and I hope you do give it a try.

Michelle's quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3260[/ATTACH]

CW's quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3261[/ATTACH]

maureenann 03-09-2010 03:07 PM

Very, very beautiful. Bravo!

watson's mom 03-09-2010 04:40 PM

Patty..the other two quilts are beautiful. It is amazing how different fabrics changed the look. Thanks for taking the time to answer. Carol

grammypatty7 03-09-2010 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by maureenann
Very, very beautiful. Bravo!

Thank you Maureen.
Patty