Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Peacocky enough? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/peacocky-enough-t196902.html)

JanTx 08-06-2012 06:25 PM

Peacocky enough?

5 Attachment(s)
I am working on a set of 3 commissioned quilts - which I hope are my first and last commission quilts. The first one is done and was a hit - for a son in the Army. (Pics below)

THEN she wanted one for each of her two other adult kids. One to have purples and the other to be earth tones - featuring rust.

Once I started the "purple" one I got a message to not start the rust one - that one has mentioned that peacock colors are a favorite so can that one have peacock colors. (Of course, I've already collected the fabrics for the earth tone one!)

So - you are seeing pics of the Purple one, but I'm thinking that one can Magic-Chango become ... PEACOCK colors! What do you think? Then I just need to figure out what else I have that's purple.

I've never made a quilt that anyone paid me for. From now on I'll sell things I've already made - but no more "commissioned" products!

The batik fabrics are from Connecting Threads - a bundle of 24 fat quarters for around $40 if I remember it right. The pattern is a Turning 12. The backing is from Hancock Fabrics (not Hancock of Paducah - just plain Hancock!)

NOTE _ the lady who asked for these quilts is a friend and co-worker. I have taught all 3 of these "kids". When asked previously if I'd sell a quilt I've always said, "Sorry, you can't afford me!" with a smile. I'm making these for a ridiculously low price, but ... not again!

QuiltnLady1 08-06-2012 06:46 PM

I definitely think the quilt in the first two pictures would work as being peacock colors.

IrelandDragonQuilting 08-06-2012 06:51 PM

They are beautiful!

Jennalyn 08-06-2012 07:06 PM

To me, peacock colors are jewel tone blues, greens, purples... so I'd definitely say that this could qualify as peacock-inspired! :D Lovely quilts.

Jingle 08-06-2012 07:12 PM

I agree the first quilt looks peacocky to me. I have given alot, ok, most of my quilts away and have a Sis - in - law and her Dad, after her getting a comforter and two quilts, the Dad only one, had the nerve to want me to make quilts with their color choices. Her Dad has offered me money, she has not. I won't take money because they are in charge and would take the fun out of it for me. I have decided to stop giving them away and just keep them. Sis in law has hers put away and just wants to collect them.

Diane007 08-06-2012 07:14 PM

nice job....:)

JanTx 08-06-2012 07:33 PM

I've always given them away also - and love doing that. But .. this is an expensive hobby! So the thought was if I just got enough from a sale to pay for more fabric then I had my fun and got some cash, too. But ... not so much fun. :( I'm so nervous that my vision won't match hers. Also nervous about my workmanship. Not fun. They are certainly good enough to be given away! AND if I go with selling only completed projects people can see what they are getting.

ruthie 08-06-2012 07:44 PM

Beautiful quilts. I think the first two could be peacock colors.

burchquilts 08-07-2012 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 (Post 5422898)
I definitely think the quilt in the first two pictures would work as being peacock colors.

I agree 100%! I think it fits that bill perfectly! Plus, it's beautiful! As is the earth-toned one! Great job on both of these!

GailG 08-07-2012 03:02 AM

I know what you mean about making things for the "kid" you've taught. I made wedding cakes up until this year. Hopefully, no more. Anywhoo, when I have done one for a child that was a former student, I always gave them a ridiculously low price. (Probably ended up costing me.) The last one I made was definitely at a loss -- supplies and ingredients have risen in price so much.

Your quilts are gorgeous. The lady needs to be told that you had already shopped for fabrics for the third quilt before she changed her mind. Good luck and keep us posted.