Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Pics of "that ugly quilt that I hate" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/pics-%22-ugly-quilt-i-hate%22-t27215.html)

tarib 10-20-2009 01:17 PM

I love the colors...great job

quiltwoman 10-20-2009 01:53 PM

Gosh Eddie--you should see some of my uglies! I love it.

Red Robin 10-20-2009 02:59 PM

Eddie,

That is not an "ugly quilt" . . . I love it!

joann hussey 10-20-2009 03:02 PM

Looks good to me, what a nice gift for your daughter, won't she be surprise to receive it. Keep that quilt near by it will grow on you!! I like it.

wordmama 10-20-2009 03:12 PM

Did you do the quilting, too? I think it looks great.

Eddie 10-20-2009 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by omak
You have done a few of those quilts out of the jelly roll book, haven't you? I don't remember - - is this the first time you have had this kind of problem?

Yes, I think all of the quilts I've done (except the first one) have been done with precuts (jelly rolls, layer cakes, charm squares). I think the reason this one was such a bear was because all of the pieces are 2" finished sizes and I also had to use some yard fabric that I rotary cut myself for the neutral cross areas. So the mix of my 2.5" strips with the 2 and 9/16" strips was difficult to work with. I tried to have a little of the pinking extend beyond my neutral strips, but...well....it was an experience.

Eddie 10-20-2009 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by richbrote
try your hand a paper piecing. there is the advantage of perfect points, your blocks come out SQUARE and the patterns are endless. the only disadvantage is that there are no circle patterns except for the illusions of circles.

I think PP is definately something in my future. I'm intrigued by it and have done some reading on it, so will be trying it. I really like the possibilities it opens up for you.

Eddie 10-20-2009 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by nitakhoops
Did you quilt your "ugly quilt" with the machine shown in the picture? If so, what kind of sewing machine is this and how much was it? I have a 45 yo sewing machine and it is limited on what it can do. I'd love a machine that can do quilting without spending thousands of dollars....
Thx, Nita
PS I really like your quilt and would not call it ugly! :lol:

Yes, I did the free-motion quilting on my regular sewing machine (pictured in my avatar photo at left). It's a Brother Innovis NX-650Q machine which is marketed as their "Quilter's Club" machine because it has the wider throat on it and the large plate. I really like this machine, it's wonderful to sew with. I think I paid right at about $800 for it when it was on sale.

jojo47 10-20-2009 07:39 PM

I agree with your daughter, Eddie...It's a very pretty quilt.

Jojo

TX_Cutie 10-20-2009 08:33 PM

I think it's beautiful! The colors are so warm and relaxing.

The quilter is always toughest on their own projects - when I look at some of my newly completed projects, I only see the mistakes.