Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Practicing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/practicing-t224955.html)

jamsbuying 07-03-2013 12:33 PM

A great job! I'll put the class on my list of 'to dos'. I'm a self-taught, and not too good.

watson's mom 07-03-2013 01:03 PM

Please tell me what a ruler foot is. I have never heard of it. I like the work you have done on your quilt, hope I can get that good someday. Thank you for sharing.

laurlync 07-03-2013 01:13 PM

I think you are doing great, Debbie! Your designs will look great on a quilt.

I wanted to learn to quilt feathers, so I started out just drawing them over and over and over. Then I put on a practice piece and quilted them. They were getting better, but I still wasn't totally happy with them. One day I decided that the only way I was really going to get good at quilting feathers was to start putting them on quilts. The first quilt was an easy pattern I made just to practice my feathers and I use it as a lap quilt on my couch. I don't mind that the quilting isn't that great, I still love it. I have now quilted several quilts with feathers and am (generally) very happy with the results. I guess what I am saying is, don't be afraid to quilt your designs on actual quilts. Matching thread really does hide a multitude of mistakes and you'll see a HUGE improvement after each quilt you complete.

Debbie B 07-03-2013 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by watson's mom (Post 6157800)
Please tell me what a ruler foot is. I have never heard of it. I like the work you have done on your quilt, hope I can get that good someday. Thank you for sharing.

A ruler foot is a foot that's thicker at the bottom, so you can hold a special quilting ruler next to it. There are different types of rulers...straight edge, scallops, shapes, ect. I took a couple of pictures of the foot & they should be on page 2 or 3 of this thread. My ruler foot says it is to only be used with a machine on a frame.

Debbie B 07-03-2013 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by laurlync (Post 6157812)
I think you are doing great, Debbie! Your designs will look great on a quilt.

I wanted to learn to quilt feathers, so I started out just drawing them over and over and over. Then I put on a practice piece and quilted them. They were getting better, but I still wasn't totally happy with them. One day I decided that the only way I was really going to get good at quilting feathers was to start putting them on quilts. The first quilt was an easy pattern I made just to practice my feathers and I use it as a lap quilt on my couch. I don't mind that the quilting isn't that great, I still love it. I have now quilted several quilts with feathers and am (generally) very happy with the results. I guess what I am saying is, don't be afraid to quilt your designs on actual quilts. Matching thread really does hide a multitude of mistakes and you'll see a HUGE improvement after each quilt you complete.

Thank you for the encouraging words. I put the top that I made for the class on my frame today. I tried to pebble & it's looking like a hot mess! But, I keep telling myself that this is to learn something new. I, too, draw & draw for practice. I'm actually pretty good drawing the quilting, but the quilting is a different story...lol. I can draw feathers, but they remind me of the Loch Ness monster when I quilt them. But, I'm not giving up!

leighway 07-03-2013 07:33 PM

Excellent work! Go forth and quilt those tiles!!

KathyPhillips 07-03-2013 07:38 PM

Great tiles!! You are doing a wonderful job!

icul8rg8r 07-04-2013 02:05 AM

Looks to me that the practicing has paid off - looks great! You're ready!

BCM 07-04-2013 04:36 AM

Looks great. Go for it!!

#1piecemaker 07-04-2013 04:40 AM

I think you did a great job. I need to do some practicing myself.