Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Print or solid border? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/print-solid-border-t104963.html)

dove 03-04-2011 03:37 PM

looks great as is or you can go with a navy border

sandyquilts 03-04-2011 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Just finished a UFO and want to make it a bit bigger so it fits on a full sized bed. Have enough of the blue and yellow floral print for borders and binding but it looks kind of busy to go with all the scrappy 9 patch blocks. Do you think of medium blue solid or reads like a solid would look better?

Beautiful quilt. I would use a dark narrow border like navy and then the floral border. The eye needs to rest thus why I suggest the narrow navy border.

Jim's Gem 03-04-2011 04:02 PM

Print!!!

May in Jersey 03-04-2011 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by cctx.

Originally Posted by incoming2me
The print looks great with it!

I agree, but have you tried it with a solid color?

Haven't tried it with a solid border because I don't have any in my stash right now. Since I'm on the No Buy kick I need to use what I have in my stash. Hey, wait a minute - according to No Buy rules borders are OK purchases. Maybe a quick ride to the LQS is in order this weekend.

Thanks quilters for your advice, you gals have opened my eyes to several possibilities. May in Jersey

sueisallaboutquilts 03-04-2011 05:32 PM

May, I love your colors!! And I agree with the others :D:D

milp04 03-04-2011 05:40 PM

Beautiful quilt. I would make a small border with a similar medium or dark blue fabric, maybe using something used in the quilt if you have enough fabric. Then have a very small folded fabric or corded accent border of yellow, then followed with your flowered blue fabric for the outer border.

I would also use this same flowered fabric for the binding ic you have enough. If not then maybe make the binding out of scraps of all of the fabrics used in the quilt top.

It would appear from the picture that all the fabrics you have used so far are prints. With this in mind I would stay away from using a solid but use another print

Hope this makes sense to others.

Pam M

dunster 03-04-2011 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
I would use that as the outer border with a skinny yellow inner border. It looks great!

Me too!

grammy6 03-04-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
I would use that as the outer border with a skinny yellow inner border. It looks great!

I agree it gets my vote

:P love the border fabric choice

QUILTNMO 03-04-2011 07:37 PM

i agree yellow popper would really make it stand out nice colors

May in Jersey 03-04-2011 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by milp04
Beautiful quilt. I would make a small border with a similar medium or dark blue fabric, maybe using something used in the quilt if you have enough fabric. Then have a very small folded fabric or corded accent border of yellow, then followed with your flowered blue fabric for the outer border.

I would also use this same flowered fabric for the binding ic you have enough. If not then maybe make the binding out of scraps of all of the fabrics used in the quilt top.

It would appear from the picture that all the fabrics you have used so far are prints. With this in mind I would stay away from using a solid but use another print

Hope this makes sense to others.

Pam M

More great ideas, you gals are terrfic, I like the idea of a narrow folded strip in yellow in the middle of the borders. May