Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Question about Quilt of Valor fabric selection (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/question-about-quilt-valor-fabric-selection-t139319.html)

isnthatodd 07-21-2011 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found this fabric in Santa Fe and thought it might make a great quilt of valor for someone from the southwest. I have not done a QOV yet, so thought I would check with the experts to see if you think this would work ok. I also don't have a pattern in mind. It is so beautiful to me that I really hate to cut it!

colleen53 07-21-2011 03:49 PM

i would love some of that for a bow tuck !

erstan947 07-21-2011 03:52 PM

I would use this for the backing and find fabrics that work well with it for the quilt top....just a thought:)

Kooklabell 07-21-2011 03:56 PM

It would make a lovely quilt of valor. Many make them r/w/b, but others don't. The label could have a flag or something on it. I'd hate to cut it as well. I have a long arm so I'd just stitch around the shapes and place a nice border on it.

isnthatodd 07-21-2011 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
I would use this for the backing and find fabrics that work well with it for the quilt top....just a thought:)

That was my thought, but I would have to add to it to make it big enough-borders, maybe, or a chinese coin type strip down the middle. I thought about doing a very simple type of block on the front.

Kooklabell 07-21-2011 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947

Now, there's a good idea!

isnthatodd 07-21-2011 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Kooklabell
It would make a lovely quilt of valor. Many make them r/w/b, but others don't. The label could have a flag or something on it. I'd hate to cut it as well. I have a long arm so I'd just stitch around the shapes and place a nice border on it.

I didn't even think about that! What a good idea!

leatheflea 07-21-2011 04:00 PM

Wow thats loud!

isnthatodd 07-21-2011 04:03 PM

Yes, it is, which is probably why I like it so much.

ckcowl 07-21-2011 04:41 PM

my son in law (16 years & counting in the service) told me when i sent a patriotic looking quilt that military people do not use those quilts- they will hang them on the wall- or fold them up and put them away- but it is just not ok to use it-
i don't know if it's just him & his group- but the one i sent to him does hang in a special place in a certain building at his (home base)...i've made him a few quilts using camo fabrics- and other fabrics-he uses those- and some of the guys have requested ones like his- but i do not send patriotic- red/white & blue quilts anymore- i save those for local fundraisers- and organizations
i do not know if it is like that at the va hospitals- that the patients (feel weird) about using one- to my s-i-l it's like sitting on a flag---a big no-no