Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about Quilt of Valor fabric selection

I found this fabric in Santa Fe and thought it might make a great quilt of valor for someone from the southwest. I have not done a QOV yet, so thought I would check with the experts to see if you think this would work ok. I also don't have a pattern in mind. It is so beautiful to me that I really hate to cut it!
    Attached Images Attached Images

i would love some of that for a bow tuck !

Blog Entries
    I would use this for the backing and find fabrics that work well with it for the quilt top....just a thought:)

It would make a lovely quilt of valor. Many make them r/w/b, but others don't. The label could have a flag or something on it. I'd hate to cut it as well. I have a long arm so I'd just stitch around the shapes and place a nice border on it.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    I would use this for the backing and find fabrics that work well with it for the quilt top....just a thought:)
    That was my thought, but I would have to add to it to make it big enough-borders, maybe, or a chinese coin type strip down the middle. I thought about doing a very simple type of block on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Now, there's a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Kooklabell
    It would make a lovely quilt of valor. Many make them r/w/b, but others don't. The label could have a flag or something on it. I'd hate to cut it as well. I have a long arm so I'd just stitch around the shapes and place a nice border on it.
    I didn't even think about that! What a good idea!

Wow thats loud!

Yes, it is, which is probably why I like it so much.

Blog Entries
    my son in law (16 years & counting in the service) told me when i sent a patriotic looking quilt that military people do not use those quilts- they will hang them on the wall- or fold them up and put them away- but it is just not ok to use it-
    i don't know if it's just him & his group- but the one i sent to him does hang in a special place in a certain building at his (home base)...i've made him a few quilts using camo fabrics- and other fabrics-he uses those- and some of the guys have requested ones like his- but i do not send patriotic- red/white & blue quilts anymore- i save those for local fundraisers- and organizations
    i do not know if it is like that at the va hospitals- that the patients (feel weird) about using one- to my s-i-l it's like sitting on a flag---a big no-no

Try cutting out the "star" shapes, put sashing and corner stones around it and it'll look spectacular!
    I"ve made 75 Quilts of Valor tops this last year and some have had very wild and bright colors and patterns in them.
    They look wonderful when done. Good luck!

I am not familiar with the Quilts of Valor program-could someone fill me in on that? Thanks!

Quilt of Valor has a national web site. It will connect you with local groups. We make quilts to donate to VA hospitals for the wounded military persons of all branches of the military. Some are presented to veterans who are no longer at VA hospitals. It's a wonderful thing to do!

If you google Quilts of Valor, they have a great website. The purpose is to provide wounded service men and women with quilts to show appreciation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    my son in law (16 years & counting in the service) told me when i sent a patriotic looking quilt that military people do not use those quilts- they will hang them on the wall- or fold them up and put them away- but it is just not ok to use it-
    i don't know if it's just him & his group- but the one i sent to him does hang in a special place in a certain building at his (home base)...i've made him a few quilts using camo fabrics- and other fabrics-he uses those- and some of the guys have requested ones like his- but i do not send patriotic- red/white & blue quilts anymore- i save those for local fundraisers- and organizations
    i do not know if it is like that at the va hospitals- that the patients (feel weird) about using one- to my s-i-l it's like sitting on a flag---a big no-no
    this is nice to know. thanks.

I think this would make a beautiful quilt. I do like the idea of using this for the backing so that the entire print be seen. It would be cool if it went to a native American or as you said, to someone from the southwest. Beautiful fabric.

This is the pattern, or something like it, that I was thinking about for the other side. It's Broken Dishes, and this is from Janet Wickell's website.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love this fabric - is there a manufacturer name on it - I would like to do a sw design quilt and this is perfect. So, if you can find out who made it or give us the name of the shop you purchased it.

That's gorgeous fabric!

Beautiful fabric

That is gorgeous fabric to give them some color! You could use it for backing, or use large blocks on the front so you don't have to cut it up too much.

Power Poster
    Gorgeous fabric!

As Bookkeeper for the Quilts of Valor Foundation please allow me a correction to the previous posts: Quilts of Valor is a non-profit organization that provides Quilts of Valor to anyone who has been deployed during any war or conflict. The word "Wounded" was removed from the mission statement more than 2 years ago. If you served, were deployed and touched by war by any means, and if you were deployed during a war or conflict how could you not be touched by it, you have earned a Quilt of Valor. The website is QOVF.org, please visit the site and read about some of those who have been awarded or work with Quilts of Valor. We have many yet to award and I applaud those of you who have made a Quilt of Valor or do so in the future. Let our military men and women know we care.

As to the fabric, it's gorgeous and appropriate to use. While if given a choice most will choose Red, White and Blue quilts 9 out of 10 times, there are others who prefer something different. You may designate who your QOV is awarded to and I think a Native American Indian would be appropriate. With gorgeous fabric like this one,however you decide to use it, it will be wonderful and beautiful. I have been part of many awarding ceremonies and I can not tell you how much these quilts mean to the men and women receiving them. Some of our Vietnam vets have waited many years for the "Thank You for your service" that comes with each Quilt of Valor.

Love this fabric.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast