Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Quilt Blocks and a Hotpad done! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilt-blocks-hotpad-done-t25575.html)

amma 09-16-2009 05:25 PM

They are all beautiful!!! Well Done!!! :D :D :D

BlueChicken 09-16-2009 05:30 PM

*falls off chair in excitement*

Last night I was looking through my cabinet and came across a pack of charm (?) squares I bought ages ago that I had forgotten I had. They're all 5" square, and they're all dark blues. Not sure why I bought them, I like much lighter and brighter colours. But they were in my stash and I'm thinking "what on earth am I going to do with these, they're ugly!"

But your blocks Rhonda, look awesome! The white with the darks is perfect, and I love repeating patterns like that. I now have an idea on what to do with those ugly little squares, thank you! :-)

Rhonda 09-16-2009 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by SharonC
Rhonda - your work is simply amazing. It's beautiful if we think in terms of 8 or 10 inch blocks--BUT your work is miniture and soooooooooooo amazing.

Thank you thank you!! SharonC and Amma!!

It really is an easy block to do. But it is a very satisfying one to make. I like optical illusions and I like secondary designs which are sort of like illusions. I love the figure 8 design behind (or around depending on your view)the stars.
I call this block Rolling Stars but I know it probably has other names. They all seem to have.

Rhonda 09-16-2009 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken
*falls off chair in excitement*

Last night I was looking through my cabinet and came across a pack of charm (?) squares I bought ages ago that I had forgotten I had. They're all 5" square, and they're all dark blues. Not sure why I bought them, I like much lighter and brighter colours. But they were in my stash and I'm thinking "what on earth am I going to do with these, they're ugly!"

But your blocks Rhonda, look awesome! The white with the darks is perfect, and I love repeating patterns like that. I now have an idea on what to do with those ugly little squares, thank you! :-)

Now Blue don't you know there are no ugly blues!!!!!! Just blues that haven't found a home yet!! I do love strong contrast. I am very fussy about my contrasts. It is sort of my signature I suppose because I tend to stick pretty strongly to that design concept.

I am so happy if I could help inspire your work!! That is what quilting is about -- sharing!! Now we expect pictures!!!! We will allow you time to get something done but we will be waiting!!

Ninnie 09-16-2009 06:03 PM

I just love all of them!

BlueChicken 09-16-2009 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Now Blue don't you know there are no ugly blues!!!!!!

Now that's what I thought too.... till I got this little pack! LOL

But you're right... with enough contrast they WILL be gorgeous! And of course I'll post photos..... at this rate it should be around October..... 2037! ;-)

Rhonda 09-16-2009 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken

Originally Posted by Rhonda
Now Blue don't you know there are no ugly blues!!!!!!

Now that's what I thought too.... till I got this little pack! LOL

But you're right... with enough contrast they WILL be gorgeous! And of course I'll post photos..... at this rate it should be around October..... 2037! ;-)

When you put those kinds of dark prints in scrappy situations they look a lot better and you get them used up. I have done that with some fabrics I don't much like. I also use strips to sew together and then I use them for borders like piano keys or I cut squares out of the strips turning the template on point. This is a great way to use up fabric you don't really like. I do mine all scrappy so I can work in those ones I don't like.

littlehud 09-16-2009 06:43 PM

Those are awesome. What pattern did you use for the hotpad. I love it.

Rhonda 09-16-2009 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
Those are awesome. What pattern did you use for the hotpad. I love it.

Little Hud - I don't know what the real name is for it. I call it Rolling Stars. I can send it to you if you like. It's just HSTs. Pm me if you'd like me to send you the layout. It's an easy one!

kd124 09-16-2009 10:54 PM

Awesome!! :-)