Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Quilt top just finnished?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilt-top-just-finnished-t30799.html)

buddy'smom 12-04-2009 08:17 AM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all your help & tips.

dakotamaid 12-04-2009 08:23 AM

All of the advice given all fits together when doing borders. One other thing my grandma taught me was to measure thru the center of the quilt and both sides and average the 3 measurements. Do this for both sides, top and bottom. Your quilt will lay so much better.

Have joyous holidays. :-D

Ninnie 12-04-2009 08:52 AM

I love your top!!

martha jo 12-05-2009 06:40 PM

Did you measure the border and cut it to size or did you just sew until the border ran out? It does stretch if you don't measure and make it fit rather than just sew border until you get to the end. I use to do that and had wavy borders.

Jingle 12-05-2009 10:06 PM

I measure through the middle side to side - mark center and side to center on both sides and mark - match marks and pin - sew on borders top and bottom - press towards border - measure length top to bottom through the center - mark and pin as above - sew borders on and press toward borders. Makes non-wavy borders. I hope it works for you.
Phyllis

omak 12-05-2009 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by rndelling
Did you measure across the middle of the quilt and not the edge? If you measured the edge instead it could make your border wavy.
Try measuring across the middle and easing in where needed to make it fit.
I always heard that's what needed to be done but naturally I had to learn the hard way. lol

THat is usually the way to prevent waves ... measure through the middle, cut exactly and then put the biggest piece on the bottom ... the feed dogs will help ease in any difference.
I never had a problem with it (dumb luck) but I watched someone measure the edges, and golly gee whiz! The quilt was REALLY wavy ... I measure the middle ever since <g>

omak 12-05-2009 10:10 PM

I forgot to say:
It is a beautiful quilt and the waves will quilt out, usually <g>

Pickles 12-05-2009 11:50 PM

I love your Quilt and everyone has givrn good answers for the boarder,..I bet it turns out fine once you quilt it.

Chele 12-06-2009 04:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I always learn new things here! Great tips on getting borders not to wave. Your quilt top is gorgeous. Do try to fix your friendly (wavy) borders. It shouldn't take too long. I just had one quilted and below is what happens. I'm hoping it won't be too noticeable once the quilt is bound and washed.

buddy'smom 12-06-2009 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Chele
I always learn new things here! Great tips on getting borders not to wave. Your quilt top is gorgeous. Do try to fix your friendly (wavy) borders. It shouldn't take too long. I just had one quilted and below is what happens. I'm hoping it won't be too noticeable once the quilt is bound and washed.

Thanks ladies, your quilt is beautiful just as it is, I talked to my quilter, she said if the wave isn't to bad it should quilt out, keeping my fingers crossed.