Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Rag quilt made from homespun cloth (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/rag-quilt-made-homespun-cloth-t38219.html)

Eddie 02-28-2010 04:44 PM

The way I made the blocks is:

1. Lay two colors of fabric, right sides together, and draw a line diagonally from one corner to the other.
2. Sew 1/4 from both sides of the line and then cut diagonally on the line.
3. Cut the corners off each side and sew to the opposite side. You now have two resulting blocks that each have 4 stripes across each one.

I think you could probably figure out how to strip piece these, though, using the tube piecing method. The book I did this pattern from said to do it as stated above, so I just followed along with that.

burnsk 02-28-2010 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie

1. Lay two colors of fabric, right sides together, and draw a line diagonally from one corner to the other.
3. Cut the corners off each side and sew to the opposite side. You now have two resulting blocks that each have 4 stripes across each one.

I think you could probably figure out how to strip piece these, though, using the tube piecing method. The book I did this pattern from said to do it as stated above, so I just followed along with that.

I did OK up to step #3 then I got confused (not hard to confuse me). But I think you're right-on using the tube piecing method.

burnsk 02-28-2010 04:52 PM

Did you take your cathedral window with you?

BKinCO 02-28-2010 04:54 PM

Dumb question time......what is homespun fabric???

Chele 02-28-2010 04:59 PM

Very nice, Eddie! Looks so cozy!

bopeep 02-28-2010 05:00 PM

I REALLY LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS QUILT!!!!!!!!
IT IS SOOOOO HOMEY.....
bopeep

Eddie 02-28-2010 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by burnsk

I did OK up to step #3 then I got confused (not hard to confuse me). But I think you're right-on using the tube piecing method.

For step #2, after you've made that diagonal cut in step #2, you'll have to triangular halves from the original square. So you just make 2 more cuts parallel to that cut you just made, splitting the original square now into 4 pieces. You take the outer two pieces and switch sides with them so that the color pattern alternates in the finished block.

Eddie 02-28-2010 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by burnsk
Did you take your cathedral window with you?

I did, but didn't get a chance to work on it. Had so much other stuff going on. :D

Eddie 02-28-2010 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by BKinCO

Not a dumb question at all! The pattern on homespun fabric is made by the weave of the fabric, i.e., using different colored threads to actually weave a pattern. This is unlike a printed fabric where the pattern is simply printed onto the raw fabric. So with homespun, both sides are equally "right" generally, although one side may have a more polished look than the other.

BKinCO 02-28-2010 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by BKinCO

Not a dumb question at all! The pattern on homespun fabric is made by the weave of the fabric, i.e., using different colored threads to actually weave a pattern. This is unlike a printed fabric where the pattern is simply printed onto the raw fabric. So with homespun, both sides are equally "right" generally, although one side may have a more polished look than the other.

Thanks for the explanation! I had seen that term but didn't know what it meant. Your quilt turned out gorgeous ~ I would expect nothing less from you. :) Might have to go on my to-try list :)