Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rag quilt made from homespun cloth

Here's some pics of a rag quilt that I made at a quilt retreat this weekend. It's made from homespun cloths and measures 48" x 60". Each block has a square of cotton batting in it, so it is nice and warm. The backing all have that red checked fabric except for each corner which have those blue squares. Why? -- because I ran out of the red checked fabric, was just a little short! :D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Sure looks cozy! Great job!

I really like this. Looks so country!!

Great quilt Eddie!!

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    beautiful!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I never thought of making one with homespun. Good idea. It certainly does look cozy!

Oh, I just love it. I dont' know how to do a rag quilt - maybe someday.

I was thinking of using homespun on the back of a quilt that I am making out of HST's. That would suit the personality of the person receiving the quilt. I like the idea of the plaid. My other thought was to use plaid shirting. Any thoughts? Quilt not completed yet but will post a pic when it is.

I think either one would look great. I really like the look of plaids and homespuns for their homey, comfy look.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Here's some pics of a rag quilt that I made at a quilt retreat this weekend. It's made from homespun cloths and measures 48" x 60". Each block has a square of cotton batting in it, so it is nice and warm. The backing all have that red checked fabric except for each corner which have those blue squares. Why? -- because I ran out of the red checked fabric, was just a little short! :D
    Love your quilt. It looks cozy to snuggle up with.

Question: did you strip-sew for the top and then cut the squares? I have a stack of homespun FQ's that I've been saving to do a rag quilt and love the way you striped your top squares. Gives me a NEW idea for mine. What size are your squares?

The way I made the blocks is:

1. Lay two colors of fabric, right sides together, and draw a line diagonally from one corner to the other.
    2. Sew 1/4 from both sides of the line and then cut diagonally on the line.
    3. Cut the corners off each side and sew to the opposite side. You now have two resulting blocks that each have 4 stripes across each one.

I think you could probably figure out how to strip piece these, though, using the tube piecing method. The book I did this pattern from said to do it as stated above, so I just followed along with that.

Blog Entries

1. Lay two colors of fabric, right sides together, and draw a line diagonally from one corner to the other.
    3. Cut the corners off each side and sew to the opposite side. You now have two resulting blocks that each have 4 stripes across each one.

I think you could probably figure out how to strip piece these, though, using the tube piecing method. The book I did this pattern from said to do it as stated above, so I just followed along with that.
    I did OK up to step #3 then I got confused (not hard to confuse me). But I think you're right-on using the tube piecing method.

Blog Entries
    Did you take your cathedral window with you?

Banned
    Dumb question time......what is homespun fabric???

Very nice, Eddie! Looks so cozy!

Banned
    I REALLY LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS QUILT!!!!!!!!
    IT IS SOOOOO HOMEY.....
    bopeep

Quote Originally Posted by burnsk

I did OK up to step #3 then I got confused (not hard to confuse me). But I think you're right-on using the tube piecing method.
    For step #2, after you've made that diagonal cut in step #2, you'll have to triangular halves from the original square. So you just make 2 more cuts parallel to that cut you just made, splitting the original square now into 4 pieces. You take the outer two pieces and switch sides with them so that the color pattern alternates in the finished block.

Did you take your cathedral window with you?
    I did, but didn't get a chance to work on it. Had so much other stuff going on. :D

Quote Originally Posted by BKinCO
    Not a dumb question at all! The pattern on homespun fabric is made by the weave of the fabric, i.e., using different colored threads to actually weave a pattern. This is unlike a printed fabric where the pattern is simply printed onto the raw fabric. So with homespun, both sides are equally "right" generally, although one side may have a more polished look than the other.

Banned
    Not a dumb question at all! The pattern on homespun fabric is made by the weave of the fabric, i.e., using different colored threads to actually weave a pattern. This is unlike a printed fabric where the pattern is simply printed onto the raw fabric. So with homespun, both sides are equally "right" generally, although one side may have a more polished look than the other.
    Thanks for the explanation! I had seen that term but didn't know what it meant. Your quilt turned out gorgeous ~ I would expect nothing less from you. :) Might have to go on my to-try list :)

Hehe, I love it when someone else asks the "dumb" question before I have to. :)

Love the quilt Eddie! It has such a farmhouse feel to it. Another beauty!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
    Hehe, I love it when someone else asks the "dumb" question before I have to. :)

Love the quilt Eddie! It has such a farmhouse feel to it. Another beauty!
    Rachel ~ do we have to add this to our Blame Eddie Club To-Do List?

Blog Entries
    Isn't it usually a little looser weave also?

Isn't it usually a little looser weave also?
    Yes, it is. When you look at a bolt of it you can see that the grain of the fabric can run really askew from one edge to the other edge, so you have to straighten it back up before cutting.

Looks warm and cozy. Great job.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast