Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Really Scrappy (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/really-scrappy-t247396.html)

charismah 05-29-2014 10:06 AM

I can only work with what is sent to me....You always do an amazing job with the fabrics you have. Your designs and quilts are always breath taking. Always a pleasure for me to see what you have come up with. I am in love with this quilt as well. :)

Pennyhal 05-29-2014 10:10 AM

This is a fantastic outcome! Every element goes together perfectly!

katydidkg 05-29-2014 02:09 PM

This is an awesome quilt, love the border. Is the pattern with border from a book or did you design it ? If you designed it, would you please, please, please tell in detail, how you made the border ? This is a beautiful way to use scraps. Thank you !

omaluvs2quilt 05-29-2014 02:46 PM

Another awesome quilt! I need to get busy, you're making me jealous :)

Lori S 05-29-2014 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by katydidkg (Post 6736441)
This is an awesome quilt, love the border. Is the pattern with border from a book or did you design it ? If you designed it, would you please, please, please tell in detail, how you made the border ? This is a beautiful way to use scraps. Thank you !

I made up the border pattern as I had miss calculated and had more 4 patch units than I needed. The border is the 4 patch set on point with the sashing ( two sides and the corner stone ), but added a 1/2 square triangle at each end of the four patch with the sashing, then flipped the units every other one 180 degrees. I then sewed a wide strip of the same cream color tone on tone to the widen the border a bit. It gets a little more complicated at the corners since its all set at an angle but once you see them in a lay out its easier to figure the corner union pieces.

The final border is just a short piano key border. ( but I don't think that's the one you were asking about )

The tone on tone cream color print made the straight cream strips that were added almost disappear when the quilting was done.

It is a double bat quilt , one layer warm and natural on layer thin poly... the quilting really shows up well with the two layers ,plus it warmer.

nannyrick 05-29-2014 04:31 PM

Absolutely stunning!!! Thanks for showing it.

katydidkg 05-29-2014 05:01 PM

Thank you so much ! A friend and I are going to make this quilt. We're going to make our four patches with 1 1/2" squares and will finish at 2", a four patch postage stamp.....lol Is that what you did ?

Lori S 05-29-2014 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by katydidkg (Post 6736606)
Thank you so much ! A friend and I are going to make this quilt. We're going to make our four patches with 1 1/2" squares and will finish at 2", a four patch postage stamp.....lol Is that what you did ?

Yes they are 1.5 inch cut squares in the four patch , the sashing was 1.5 inch cut as well. Have fun , do show us !

Annz 05-29-2014 07:45 PM

All are spectacular.

sew1 05-29-2014 08:12 PM

Absolutely stunning. You both deserve a big pat on the back. Well done.