Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   That Red 16 point Star? Given (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/red-16-point-star-given-t13781.html)

Elizabeth A. 11-23-2008 12:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Perhaps some of you from chat remember, that Red 16 point star I've struggled with for months. (Shadow Dancer, I'll bet is the most sick of hearing about it) Well the quilting is nearly done and I figured out that if I stand on a chair and drape it over the couch I can photograph it.

It is nearly a king at 101" by 102" It is to be a Christmas present for my mom, I have just a couple more hours of quilting and then the binding. I don't know yet if I will use the muslin backing to bring forward for a traditional Amish style binding or if I will use nested prairie points for the binding.

I've been using a quilting guide for this one and it's working out quite well. Many many less lines to draw.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23848[/ATTACH]

Elizabeth A. 11-23-2008 12:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Loretta, it's been a long time comming. I had to put it completely away for nearly a month because I was so mad over it. I tried to make it for her birthday at the beginning of this month but I reinjured a rib that I'd broken in my accident 8 years ago and couldn't move to baste the quilt let alone quilt it. So she got the little pillow instead.

The story behind the quilt is that when my mom saw the finished baby clothes quilt top (the quilt in my avatar) she spread her hands out over the star in the photograph with the pillow and said, "I want one of these". I'm certain she has no idea why she got a pillow for her birthday. I think it will look wonderful on her bed ontop of the quilt, all inspired from that day.

The original star was made from a pair of faux velvet pants with little ruffles and the white from a little one piece romper. I didn't have enough material to remake it the same, so the new pillow star is the red from her first Christmas dress, and the white from her newborn oneies that her daddy bought.

My first machine sewn buttonholes
[ATTACH=CONFIG]23380[/ATTACH]

Elizabeth A. 11-23-2008 12:36 PM

Oh and the white on white of the the quilt label and the white on white of the pillow back are the same fabric I used in the star. I love how it all ties together.

Dawn Hendrix 11-23-2008 12:37 PM

WOW.. great JOB!

Chele 11-23-2008 01:22 PM

So gorgeous! Red and white makes such a striking quilt. Your mom is going to love it!

Jim's Gem 11-23-2008 01:33 PM

Beautiful! What a special gift for your mom!!

mary quite contrary 11-23-2008 01:34 PM

Wow!! Beautiful. Your mother will be so pleased. Beautifull beautiful.

Izy 11-23-2008 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
So gorgeous! Red and white makes such a striking quilt. Your mom is going to love it!

Elizabeth, this has turned out absolutely beautifully...Your mom is going to be so touched by this. :D

I really think your quilting sets it off perfectly too. Give yourself a great big pat on the back :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

babeegirl 11-23-2008 01:40 PM

truly a work worth finishing, just saying that's it beautiful does not do justice to this extraordinary quilt. The visual impact is astounding and your workmanship is amazing.

Knot Sew 11-23-2008 01:47 PM

An amazing job, beautiful :D