Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Rescued?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/rescued-t48137.html)

Ditter43 06-04-2010 06:36 AM

We didn't see it before it was quilted, but it is spectacular now!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ditter

quiltmom04 06-04-2010 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by doowopddbop
Every once in a while, a client will bring me a quilt top made by a grandmother or great-grandmother that has been sitting in an old chest or box for decades. Maybe they picked it up at an antique shop. The fabrics may be stained or faded, torn or nibbled on by some creature. The seams may be hand pieced together, appliqued, or even machine stitched, but the quilt does not lie flat for some reason. These quilts are treasures, and deserve the extra care it takes to rescue them and preserve the love and effort that went into making it in the first place.

I just finished quilting one of these quilts. Yes, on my longarm machine. In this case, it was made by the woman's grandmother 50 or 60 years ago, and she wanted to give it to her mother. It had been pretty stained and she washed it to get out the stains, which ended up shrinking the centers of the pieced blocks, which puckered all the alternating applique' blocks. It was a true rescue effort with a lot of tugging and pulling, a lot of stitching in the ditch, and a lot of "quilting it out."

I am pretty sure this will touch off a discussion regarding machine quilting vs hand-quilting antique quilts... what's your opinion?

Absolutley gorgeous!! Those who want to hand quilt can do so, but your machine quilting is so wonderful, I can't imagine anyone saying you shouldn't machine quilt an antigue!!

amorerm 06-04-2010 08:08 AM

WOW!!!! Great job and even greater job quilting. If possible, I, personally, would love to a picture when the daughter gave this quilt back to her mother. Can't EVEN imagine the emotions.

misoop 06-04-2010 09:40 AM

That is absolutely fabulous. Your quilting just made that quilt....It would not have been nearly that pretty with hand-quilting....JMHO

hereca622 06-04-2010 11:38 AM

I think that the quilt and the quilting are gorgeous. That is all that matters. Anyway, it will be fun to mess with the quilters of the future that try to figure out how the two got together.LOL 8-)

walen 06-04-2010 11:46 AM

You saved the quilt top from the damage that the client did to it through shrinking. You made this quilt what it is today, a museum piece!

How on earth did you ever decide just how to quilt this puppy anyway? I would have been shaking in my boots. LOL

I want to end by saying that you have the courage of a lioness to take on this project and the talent to pull it off. Nice Work!

wisconsin 06-04-2010 01:50 PM

absolutely beautiful.

QuiltNama 06-04-2010 03:29 PM

It's so beautiful it takes my breath away. Very nice job

quiltin mimi 06-04-2010 03:35 PM

I would say that there is a grandmother in heaven smiling right now.

trueimage 06-04-2010 03:46 PM

speechless....this is incredible!