Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Runner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/runner-t316868.html)

toogie 11-17-2021 10:36 PM

Runner

5 Attachment(s)
Hello!
My niece just had another remodel. She turned her screened in patio into a closed in dining room. So she went shopping and found an oak table with 8 chairs. I offered to make her a Christmas runner and sent her pictures of fabrics I had in my stash. She chose this piece with Santa, deer, tree and snowmen.
The runner can be reversible. I used the fabric with the rows going across the width for one side. On the other side I made Stars.
I don’t know why but lately I have been making it hard on myself. I think it’s because I am always being interrupted or distracted. Here is what I mean.
I knew she liked the Santa with deer and tree, so I fussy cut a square for the center of my stars. I made all my blocks, then decided to sash around them with the rows of snowmen from the fabric. All went well and I was so proud of my mitered corners matching up. (See photo
Then I thought it needed a row of Santa borders because I only had them in the center square. If I had really been thinking, I would have realized by adding another border all around, it would just be too wide. I didn’t ‘think’ until after I sewed, mitered and edge finished it. 😳🙄😩
So after making perfectly mitered borders ( yea!) I had to rip it all out (boo-hoo) and go back to just the first snowmen border only.
I have been working on this 3 days! I should have finished this easily if I had use all of my brain and not just ‘half a brain’. The idea forms in my head and I make as I go. Somewhere along the way I guess I quit thinking.🙄 The finished width with just Snowmen border is 17 inches. If I had left the Santa border on as in the 3rd picture, I am embarrassed to admit it was 25 inches! Her table is 41 wide. It did look good but just too wide to look good on the table.
1- fabric niece chose
2- first border mitered
3- with both borders on ( just look at those mitered corners!-lol)
4- back to just one border and completely quilted and black binding on
5 -reverse side with whole fabric

I think she will like it and the fact that both sides can be used, she still gets her Santa.
Have a good day or night!❤️Toogie

tallchick 11-18-2021 02:54 AM

Another beauty Toogie! I think we have all been down the path of not really thinking through something, oops! It turned out fantastic!

ptquilts 11-18-2021 04:24 AM

wow, really nice! She will love it!

QuiltBaer 11-18-2021 04:57 AM

Sometimes we're our own worst enemy! But the finished runner is beautiful.

Homespun 11-18-2021 05:41 AM

That looks so elegant!

Tartan 11-18-2021 06:47 AM

Lovely runner but that perfectly mitered border was great, even though you had to take it off.

EmiliasNana 11-18-2021 06:59 AM

You did a great job on everything including the borders, despite the set backs, and your niece will be thrilled.

cjsews 11-18-2021 08:01 AM

Great runner. I like the extra border on it. Too bad it was too wide

juliasb 11-18-2021 09:11 AM

This is so festive. She will love it!

QuiltE 11-18-2021 12:34 PM

Great runner!! I'm sure your niece will be thrilled.
.. and thanks for the inspiration, as I just happen to have some similar border print fabrics that I never know what to do with. Now I have no excuse!! :)

You sound like me .... have an idea and make it as I go, but then I have another idea and oops, kind of messes with the first plan's execution. Ugh! :) But that's how we all get originals instead of cookie cutter quilts that EVERYONE can have!