Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Sashing or no sashing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/sashing-no-sashing-t223855.html)

joanelizbay 06-16-2013 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow..those are colors I never would have considered!! Its for my 26 year old granddaughter. I guess Ill have to lay out different colors and see what "pops"...the women who made the blocks in the swap did a VERY good job! I love that swap and for 99% of the time I never get two patterns the same! For some reason all I can think about when choosing sashing is the same dominate colors in the blocks but dont want yellow or white this time. The one time I went "Bold" with sashing my son said it was too much he thought...so Im not real confident on any sashing....
Thanks for your advice! Heres the blue one my son says is too "busy".

tealfalcon 06-16-2013 03:57 PM

It's going to be great. ...I say sashing in gray or aqua

QuiltE 06-16-2013 03:57 PM

It looks like all your blocks have a WOW background.

How about just using WOW for your sashings, and let the blocks float?
It could be very effective and allow for some unique quilting around the blocks and into the sashings, instead of getting the blocky effect of a coloured sashing.

redquilter 06-16-2013 04:01 PM

I agree it needs sashing. I'm thinking a blue or a red. Perhaps you can find something with a bit of yellow in it to tie it all in.

tesspug 06-16-2013 04:28 PM

Everybody has their own tastes when it comes to quilts. So, your son doesn't like your blue quilt. I think it is very dramatic, it takes traditional sampler blocks and gives them a very modern feel. Some people will like it and some people will hate it. Ask your GD what color she would like with the yellow. I have one niece who would have to have grey and one who would go for a bolder color. I was thinking a beautiful turquoise, but orange is a good idea, too.

quiltyfeelings 06-16-2013 04:40 PM

Ummmmm.... I see a bold, floral print.

Quilter7x 06-16-2013 04:46 PM

My first thought was black so the yellow would pop, but after reading everyone's comments, I really like adding green to it to keep it soft. It will be your choice in the end, but this has been fun to read everyone's comments!

joyce888 06-16-2013 06:46 PM

It does need sashing and the color would depend on if you want the quilt to be loud or calm. A medium brown or blue would look nice (calm).

fatquarters 06-16-2013 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 6126203)
It looks like all your blocks have a WOW background.

How about just using WOW for your sashings, and let the blocks float?
It could be very effective and allow for some unique quilting around the blocks and into the sashings, instead of getting the blocky effect of a coloured sashing.

I agree with this one!

rosalynd 06-16-2013 07:45 PM

If you really want it to pop use a black sashing. I also think something in the aqua end of the blue spectrum would look great. Can't wait to see what you do. These blocks are so pretty!