Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Scrap cutting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/scrap-cutting-t281914.html)

Lilrain 09-04-2016 08:58 PM

Planning to do the same. Either the scraps het organized or find new homes!

grammasharon 09-05-2016 04:22 AM

Would really like to see a picture of your quilt or do you have my problem and not able to post a picture. I want to do the same but not sure how to put them together. My scraps runneth over and I need to begin thinking of something to do with them or send them to a new home.

Originally Posted by donna873 (Post 7644626)
I cut my scraps after each project to keep on top of them, just finished a scrappy top with my 2.5" squares and strips. going to border it today. they do make pretty scrappy quilts.

twinkie 09-05-2016 05:23 AM

I think most of us who quilt are faced with this project. We just keep putting it off. Good job.

bibi 09-05-2016 07:31 AM

Good for you. Your diligence will pay off.

grandma23 09-05-2016 10:26 AM

What is the smallest size you trim too? The gold peice on the right and the pink under it look like they could be big enough for small squares or rectangles. I'm not judging...just asking a newbie dumb question.

AUQuilter 09-05-2016 11:15 AM

Smallest is 2" X 3.5" rectangle. If the scrap is long enough (5"+) I will keep to use in string quilts or clothesline baskets being picky then on colors. Occasionally I go off on a tangent and cut a few 2" squares. That'

Originally Posted by grandma23 (Post 7645648)
What is the smallest size you trim too? The gold peice on the right and the pink under it look like they could be big enough for small squares or rectangles. I'm not judging...just asking a newbie dumb question.

grandma23 09-05-2016 11:33 AM

Thank you AUQuilter just curious of the sizes people cut scraps too. After I reread that it could have been taken as snarkie and I truly didn't mean it to be.

AUQuilter 09-05-2016 12:12 PM

I certainly didn't take it as snarky. I know there are quilters who cut postage stamp size- not sure where that size goes down to though. I once cut over 100 1" squares(no doubles) and after seeing them on cutting table for about a week, I scooped them up and took them to a guild meeting free table. I really like making bricks size quilts for charity, 3.5" X 6.5" as they go quickly and that size shows off bigger prints. You will find your comfort size someday!

Originally Posted by grandma23 (Post 7645711)
Thank you AUQuilter just curious of the sizes people cut scraps too. After I reread that it could have been taken as snarkie and I truly didn't mean it to be.

dorismae904 09-05-2016 02:00 PM

I cut a lot of my scraps into 2.5 inch lengths to make scrappy jelly roll quilts and skinnier lengths for string blocks. Most of my quilts are for charity and they all come out prettier than I imagined.

MargeD 09-05-2016 05:09 PM

Good for you. I keep putting scraps in bags to deal with later, but I'm beginning to think it's a futile project.