Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Scrap organization (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/scrap-organization-t284961.html)

ccthomas 01-05-2017 07:36 PM

Nice way to organize for 2017. Like your log cabin quilt

redquilter 01-05-2017 07:53 PM

Great quilts. Especially love the Log Cabin. You did good!!!

zozee 01-05-2017 08:33 PM

Lois, I'm both impressed and inspired by your system.

Tartan, I'm amused by yours! :)

twinkie 01-06-2017 03:52 AM

Tartan, your scrap bin is more organized than mine.

LindaJ 01-06-2017 05:39 AM

Geez now you inspired me to get mine cleaned up!

Bug Lady 01-06-2017 05:50 AM

Amen! Nice job--don't you just love Bonnie Hunter stuff? I sure do. Great way to start the New Year.
Thanks for sharing. Karen

Annaquilts 01-06-2017 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7733213)
Good job! Nice blocks and top from your scraps. I thought I would post a picture of my scrap organizing system also. :D[ATTACH=CONFIG]564948[/ATTACH]

Bahahahahaha! You are brave but you are not the only one with this system. Hey atleast it is all in one or two piles, right?

Annaquilts 01-06-2017 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by loisf (Post 7733167)
In November I organized my scraps. They had been sorted by color, but the drawers were overflowing with bits and pieces that were a wrinkled mess. So I went to work. I thought I would do it a little at a time, but I became obsessed with getting it done. I suppose I spent 30 hours or more. Everything a fat eighth and over was ironed, folded and put into drawers by color. Anything less that that was cut into 1.5" squares, 2.5" squares, 2" strips, 2.5" strips and many lengths of 1.5" strips that were for log cabin blocks (2.5" to 12.5" long). I also saved any "strings" (pieces at least 5" long and less than 1.5" wide).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]564939[/ATTACH]

I made a log cabin block just to see how it would look. But of course, I became obsessed with making those, so here is my first quilt top made from those 1.5" strips.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564940[/ATTACH]

And I made a few string blocks from Bonnie Hunter's pattern String-X. I now have 21 of those out of the 48 I need.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564941[/ATTACH]

I really feel I have accomplished a lot and I have spent no money. It's a good way to start the new year.

Great job louisf! I love the log cabin quilt.

oksewglad 01-06-2017 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 7733213)
Good job! Nice blocks and top from your scraps. I thought I would post a picture of my scrap organizing system also. :D[ATTACH=CONFIG]564948[/ATTACH]

Too funny Tartan:D....I'm pleased to say I have a hybrid of both organizations...and the sized bins look like yours...big jumble of strips...

Very nice log cabin quilt, loisf

oksewglad 01-06-2017 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by loisf (Post 7734111)
I don't mean to sound like I know everything about scrap organization. I don't. But I can tell you what helped me. I had read Bonnie Hunter's scrap organization system, but I was always hesitant to do it. I didn't want to cut fabric into small random-sized pieces, because I might need them for something else. So the first thing I did was to decide on a couple of quilt patterns that I liked and wanted to try, and then I started cutting those sizes. I thought scrappy log cabins were cool, so I started cutting 1.5" strips for them in lengths from 2.5" to 12.5". (I personally like to make log cabins with precut lengths, but I know many people use long strips and cut as they assemble, so that would work too.) I also like one of Bonnie's patterns called Star-Struck, which required 2.5" squares and strips, so I started cutting those sizes when possible. I had a bunch of left-over binding strips (I use 2.25" widths), so I cut them down to 2" widths which are more useable. Years ago, I had started cutting 1.5" squares out of tiny pieces that wouldn't work for anything else for a "someday" postage stamp quilt. I also found Bonnie's pattern String-X which uses strings at least 5" long, so I kept anything less than 1.5" and at least 5" long. I kept anything that could be folded (usually at least 1/8 yard) and sorted them in drawers by color. I knew a lot of folks would consider them scraps and cut them up, but I couldn't do that. To me, they were still yardage. I threw the tiny bits into a bag to give to someone I know who uses it for dog beds or appliqué. Now I had a plan in place for these organized scraps, so I started sewing.

I am not one who likes totally random scrappies, but log cabins work for me, maybe because you still organize by lights and darks. Sandrea, I used fabric from all 50 of the quilts I have made in those scrappy log cabins. I'm here to tell you that anything works, from Asian fabric to civil war prints. The Star-Struck quilt that I'm making from the 2.5" squares and strips is quite color-controlled. Therefore, I'm using only the appropriate-color neutral, brown and red scraps and also using other fabrics from my stash.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]565017[/ATTACH]
I don't know that I'll ever do any other totally random scrappies, but you can do a lot with log cabins. Anyway, that's my story. All those messy scraps were driving me crazy, so I feel so much better now.

Nicely done...