Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   sewing chest (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/sewing-chest-t42402.html)

beccaabug 04-11-2010 05:17 PM

The top lifts up and the two bottom drawers pull out.
Its 20 inches high and 23 inches wide. I can't find any markings on it.

butterflywing 04-11-2010 05:47 PM

since it's it's so short, i think it may be a ladies' lingerie chest. she would keep her silkies and dainties in the drawers and her kid gloves and jewelry in the top. by opening the top, she could see exactly what accessories she wanted to use that evening. she might also have kept her cosmetics there. it would be only some lip color and powder. maybe some eyebrow color and a 'switch' if she had thin hair. the nicely-finished back would allow her to use it anywhere. sometimes in a room outfitted as a closet, or even the foot of her bed. men often slept in a separate, smaller room to give their wives more room and privacy. men were invited to share the bed when her 'time' was right. it was the chest of a financially comfortable woman, i believe. i had a very similar one when we furnished in antiques for the victorian house. we sold that and many other pieces
when we moved.

dkabasketlady 04-11-2010 07:17 PM

What a gorgeous piece of furniture and a great find!!

Jim's Gem 04-11-2010 07:21 PM

Some type of Library table.
It is a pretty piece!!!

wvdek 04-11-2010 08:54 PM

I agree-a library book end-table. I would have taken it too. Great find.

butterflywing 04-12-2010 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
since it's it's so short, i think it may be a ladies' lingerie chest. she would keep her silkies and dainties in the drawers and her kid gloves and jewelry in the top. by opening the top, she could see exactly what accessories she wanted to use that evening. she might also have kept her cosmetics there. it would be only some lip color and powder. maybe some eyebrow color and a 'switch' if she had thin hair. the nicely-finished back would allow her to use it anywhere. sometimes in a room outfitted as a closet, or even the foot of her bed. men often slept in a separate, smaller room to give their wives more room and privacy. men were invited to share the bed when her 'time' was right. it was the chest of a financially comfortable woman, i believe. i had a very similar one when we furnished in antiques for the victorian house. we sold that and many other pieces
when we moved.

dh disagreed with me. he thinks a salesman's sample for a blanket chest.

Jingle 04-12-2010 05:20 AM

Don't know what it is but, looks beautiful to me and in such great shape. Use however you want.

yourstrulyquilts 04-13-2010 08:43 AM

Probably not a sewing table. Where would you put you feet and legs? :mrgreen:

Tiffany 04-13-2010 08:51 AM

Wow, beautiful piece, whatever it is.

Butterflywing - I love that! I rather like the idea that it was for ladies dainties over the salesmen using it to hold blankets. I would think it would be too big for a salesman to take with him, unless he was a store owner and didn't travel.

butterflywing 04-13-2010 10:07 AM

furniture makers often showed samples and made to order. and there were traveling salesmen who went from town centers to town centers. what a way to make a living, huh?