Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Sewing Room Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/sewing-room-help-t63624.html)

2ursula 09-08-2010 06:14 AM

Your rooom reminds me of my living room about a week ago. I don't have quite as much stuff - yet.

So I bought this item at Amazon.com:
Homz Rectangular Faux-Leather Storage Ottoman
for 49.50 (shipping is free, items over $25.00 ship free at Amazon.com).

It looks neat, has two roomy chambers inside, and it collapses when it comes to moving. It looks exactly like the picture at Amazon.com, like a piece of furniture, clean and neat. Two of them would probably swallow most of your valuable stuff (it isn't crap as long as you have fun with it and it inspires you).

ganny 09-08-2010 06:28 AM

How 'bout this new saying: "One man's 'crap' is another man's treasure." :)

Lynneander 09-08-2010 06:43 AM

Been there, done that! Over the years my husband and I have moved a number of times and several lessons have been learned. When selling, the realtor has always told me to remove clutter and de-personalize everything. Unfortunately, that meant moving things from the house until the sale was completed. That hurt for a while, but we did what we had to do. On the other hand, while looking for a home, there were times a house was so cluttered that I didn't even bother to look into rooms. This probably sounds snobby, but if the room was so cluttered, it seemed like something was being hidden.

I wish you much luck on your room and listing of your home ... maybe some lap quilts in your future?

stillvnu 09-08-2010 07:04 AM

If the bed is staying ... get some bed risers ... you can even double stack them for a few more inches! Then you can easily get totes under the bed. Good luck!

dphelps 09-08-2010 07:19 AM

Hmmm, I think you should box up what you won't be using anytime soon and put it in storage. To show a house, you really need to be a minimalist. Pack as much as you can and get it out of the house. That way the house looks larger and neater and will sell quicker (hopefully). In these days, you need to do everything you can to make your home appealing. I think I have been watching too much HGTV.
Blessing anyhow.

Wanda_GA 09-08-2010 07:37 AM

Yikes....lots of work, but it will be worth it when your DH lists the house. When we put our house in Jacksonville on the market I was in the middle of a quilt, BUT I had to stop temporairly & box a lot of you know----that stash that was everywhere & all the clutter!! Once you get organized you then can continue your sewing.

We had to rent a storage unit & box a lot of things not in use, it's hard keeping a house neat & continue living in it, but that is what helps sell a house - keeping everything put away. Good luck!!!

Melody911 09-08-2010 09:00 AM

If you husband is serious about putting the house on the market you will want to keep the bed where it is. You always want your rooms to have a definite purpose....bed room not an office with a bedroom in it. It helps sell the house. Because you also use it as your sewing room try and organize the best you can keeping that in mind. I like the bed riser idea or under bed drawers, fab ideas!!! Since your closet is full too organize that too with clear stacking bins you will be surprised how much one can hide (I use the low wide kind designed to keep shoes for under the beds they work great) and it not only looks nicer it looks like you know what your doing....lol. As a bonus the bed risers make you feel like a princes climbing into one of them huge over priced beds that no one can afford.... :) !!! Good luck.

tmw 09-08-2010 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
a friend of ours had her daughter in a tiny room. the kid HAD to have a double bed. so she got four unpainted dressers and put them 2 on each side back to back and put one double mattress on a piece of plywood on top of the whole thing.
happy kid, lots of dressers. lots of space. this could work for you, too. put the mattress up off the floor on top of storage units like dressers or shelves. use the storage and people can still sleep up there. you'd have lots of storage for your stuff without getting rid of the bed.

do you mean she made a bunk bed, ? how did the child get up there?

Sadiemae 09-08-2010 09:23 AM

Chin up... I wouldn't show mine.

Julie in NM 09-08-2010 10:33 AM

I'm storing lots of quilty stuff under our bedS in space bags. They hold so much. Use those for your skinny clothes. Some people don't like them but if you follow the directions, they don't leak air. Good luck. Keep us posted!!