Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Show me your first quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/show-me-your-first-quilt-t18241.html)

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 03-28-2009 02:16 PM

Or maybe just the earliest one you have on record, for those of you who have been quiling for longer than I have been alive, and may not have pics of very first ones.

I thought it might be interesting to share our first quilts, to show how far we've come, and what we've learned since that project.

I'll go first. I only really started quilting about a year or so ago, but pictured below is my own first quilt, and boy was it a pain in the rear. I did this one before I knew about strip piecing, cutting several layers at a time, before I knew about fabric selection-there are cottons, poly-cottons, and even some satin in there, and before I knew about spray basting and just how many pins should hold the layers together while quilting... ya I learned that the hard way :roll:

This pic just shows the top, it has since been quilted and bound, I just can't find the most recent pic of it.

[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3.../IMG_12341.jpg[/IMG]

Please join in!!

Dorothy of Kansas 03-28-2009 02:22 PM

That quilt is very lovely!! I like your colors. I don't have a picture of the first quilt I made, but I remember it vividly...no seams matched (lol), if they didn't match, I would put in some tucks and pleats to make it match. The blocks weren't all the same size and the sashing..well, to put it nicely, I have since learned how to make them match up!! BUT, I made it for my daughter and she still loves it. I had stenciled and painted teddy bears for the large blocks. I took one look at the finished product and decided then and there, that I needed to take some classes before I tried that again :oops: :oops: But that was back in 1992 and I hope that I have gotten better since that time...and I did take classes for 2 1/2 years with the same teacher. Thanks for starting this thread...it brings back some good/funny memories!!

mary quite contrary 03-28-2009 02:40 PM

After seeing yours there is no way I would post my first one. You have very nice color selection. That is a pretty quilt.

Mine, well, let me just tell you I gave it to my father in law and he gave it back. Enough said.

quiltwoman 03-28-2009 02:59 PM

I cut my first quilt out with scissors! I made it the first year my dh and I got married. I had just moved to a new town, was pounding the pavement for a job and I saw it in the Better Homes and Gardens magazine. Believe it or not, I still have the directions some 20 years later. The quilt is still around. IF I am feeling brave, I'll post a pix--it now proudly has a hole in it--probably kid #1 or kid#2 or kid #3 or any of dogs over the last few years..............

My mom embroidered half of the blocks and I did the other half...it was shortly after I bought a sewing machine and had my mom teach me how to use it! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Seems like yesterday :shock:

Tippy 03-28-2009 03:02 PM

WOW what a beautiful quilt. I don't have a pic of my first one.. it was actually just a top, Grandmother's fan out of several "dusty" aqua prints with a dark teal corner, and each one was trimmed with various ribbons, laces, etc. with a muslin back. it was a queen sized spread....HUGE... by the time I finished the to I HATED it.. so I sold it for $250.

Jim's Gem 03-28-2009 03:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my very first quilt. Is from a Quilt in a day book. We would do an all-night quilt night in February each year and for the first couple of years I lived here I cross stitched all night long. That got pretty hard to work on 32 ct linen at 3 in the morning. It took my friends 5 years of getting on me to get me to start quilting. Now they have created a monster. I got the fabric collecting part down first. This was made in either 1999 or 2000.

Up North 03-28-2009 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first quilt was just one year ago, I sure have learned alot since then. I am still pretty proud of it. I hand quilted it and I will always treasure it.

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 03-28-2009 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
After seeing yours there is no way I would post my first one. You have very nice color selection. That is a pretty quilt.

Mine, well, let me just tell you I gave it to my father in law and he gave it back. Enough said.

OMG, I think that would have killed the quilter in me. I would have given up right then and there...lol!

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 03-28-2009 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by quiltwoman
I cut my first quilt out with scissors! I made it the first year my dh and I got married. I had just moved to a new town, was pounding the pavement for a job and I saw it in the Better Homes and Gardens magazine. Believe it or not, I still have the directions some 20 years later. The quilt is still around. IF I am feeling brave, I'll post a pix--it now proudly has a hole in it--probably kid #1 or kid#2 or kid #3 or any of dogs over the last few years..............

My mom embroidered half of the blocks and I did the other half...it was shortly after I bought a sewing machine and had my mom teach me how to use it! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Seems like yesterday :shock:

I'd like to see that!

collettakay 03-28-2009 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine. I started it last Feb. and finished it last May. I completely hand pieced and quilted it. I thought that was how I should do my first one so that I would at least know how quilts used to be made. I now piece by machine and love to hand quilt.