Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Show me your first quilt

Super Member Baren*eh*ked_canadian's Avatar
    Or maybe just the earliest one you have on record, for those of you who have been quiling for longer than I have been alive, and may not have pics of very first ones.

I thought it might be interesting to share our first quilts, to show how far we've come, and what we've learned since that project.

I'll go first. I only really started quilting about a year or so ago, but pictured below is my own first quilt, and boy was it a pain in the rear. I did this one before I knew about strip piecing, cutting several layers at a time, before I knew about fabric selection-there are cottons, poly-cottons, and even some satin in there, and before I knew about spray basting and just how many pins should hold the layers together while quilting... ya I learned that the hard way :roll:

This pic just shows the top, it has since been quilted and bound, I just can't find the most recent pic of it.

[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3.../IMG_12341.jpg[/IMG]

Please join in!!

Senior Member Dorothy of Kansas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That quilt is very lovely!! I like your colors. I don't have a picture of the first quilt I made, but I remember it vividly...no seams matched (lol), if they didn't match, I would put in some tucks and pleats to make it match. The blocks weren't all the same size and the sashing..well, to put it nicely, I have since learned how to make them match up!! BUT, I made it for my daughter and she still loves it. I had stenciled and painted teddy bears for the large blocks. I took one look at the finished product and decided then and there, that I needed to take some classes before I tried that again :oops: :oops: But that was back in 1992 and I hope that I have gotten better since that time...and I did take classes for 2 1/2 years with the same teacher. Thanks for starting this thread...it brings back some good/funny memories!!

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    After seeing yours there is no way I would post my first one. You have very nice color selection. That is a pretty quilt.

Mine, well, let me just tell you I gave it to my father in law and he gave it back. Enough said.

I cut my first quilt out with scissors! I made it the first year my dh and I got married. I had just moved to a new town, was pounding the pavement for a job and I saw it in the Better Homes and Gardens magazine. Believe it or not, I still have the directions some 20 years later. The quilt is still around. IF I am feeling brave, I'll post a pix--it now proudly has a hole in it--probably kid #1 or kid#2 or kid #3 or any of dogs over the last few years..............

My mom embroidered half of the blocks and I did the other half...it was shortly after I bought a sewing machine and had my mom teach me how to use it! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Seems like yesterday :shock:

WOW what a beautiful quilt. I don't have a pic of my first one.. it was actually just a top, Grandmother's fan out of several "dusty" aqua prints with a dark teal corner, and each one was trimmed with various ribbons, laces, etc. with a muslin back. it was a queen sized spread....HUGE... by the time I finished the to I HATED it.. so I sold it for $250.

This is my very first quilt. Is from a Quilt in a day book. We would do an all-night quilt night in February each year and for the first couple of years I lived here I cross stitched all night long. That got pretty hard to work on 32 ct linen at 3 in the morning. It took my friends 5 years of getting on me to get me to start quilting. Now they have created a monster. I got the fabric collecting part down first. This was made in either 1999 or 2000.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My first quilt was just one year ago, I sure have learned alot since then. I am still pretty proud of it. I hand quilted it and I will always treasure it.

Quote Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    After seeing yours there is no way I would post my first one. You have very nice color selection. That is a pretty quilt.

Mine, well, let me just tell you I gave it to my father in law and he gave it back. Enough said.
    OMG, I think that would have killed the quilter in me. I would have given up right then and there...lol!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltwoman
    I cut my first quilt out with scissors! I made it the first year my dh and I got married. I had just moved to a new town, was pounding the pavement for a job and I saw it in the Better Homes and Gardens magazine. Believe it or not, I still have the directions some 20 years later. The quilt is still around. IF I am feeling brave, I'll post a pix--it now proudly has a hole in it--probably kid #1 or kid#2 or kid #3 or any of dogs over the last few years..............

My mom embroidered half of the blocks and I did the other half...it was shortly after I bought a sewing machine and had my mom teach me how to use it! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Seems like yesterday :shock:

I'd like to see that!

community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    Here's mine. I started it last Feb. and finished it last May. I completely hand pieced and quilted it. I thought that was how I should do my first one so that I would at least know how quilts used to be made. I now piece by machine and love to hand quilt.

My first quilt is still in the works 7 years later. I took a class to make a sampler and decided to hand quilt it. Then learned how much faster it is to let someone else quilt it (who knows what they are doing) and since have learned so much I'm now starting to machine quilt my own. I'm almost finished the hand quilting and look forward to being able to use it. Quilting is a sisterhood and we learn so much from each other!

Missed the picture :)

Here's my first. A postage stamp quilt made in 2007. It is very small and I used mostly vintage fabric scraps I had collected before I quilted! The finished squares are 1".

I was so afraid to attempt quilting it, I hired a long armer! She probably thought I was nuts! LOL! She definitely did a better job than I ever could have! I still struggle with the quilting part.

Can't wait to see and hear about everyone's firsts! Baren, yours turned out really pretty!

A close-up!
    Name:  Attachment-29932.jpe
Views: 18
Size:  109.3 KB

Quilted and bound.
    Name:  Attachment-30715.jpe
Views: 14
Size:  111.7 KB

Blog Entries
    Here is my first quilt, cut out with templates and scissors (except for a small part), pieced and quilted by hand, borders so wavy I had to put pleats in them to lay flat! The pix are of me and gfs, all with the same quilt, but diff fabrics. We all learned together watching Jinney Beyer tapes...One of the gfs has passed on, one stopped quilting (her daughter) one quilts a little (and never finished the first quilt) and me, I'm addicted!
    I have the green and blue quilt.

me and quilt
    Name:  Attachment-29895.jpe
Views: 56
Size:  63.7 KB

Elaina (she quit when her mom died)
    Name:  Attachment-29898.jpe
Views: 15
Size:  57.0 KB

Peg (she died the next year) and quilt
    Name:  Attachment-29899.jpe
Views: 55
Size:  48.6 KB

Sorry my first many quilts are long gone. I finish them I give them away. That is how it works for me. LOL! :D
    Here is a few I posted that I have some old some new just waiting to be finished.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/17559.page

Blog Entries
    One more picture, Cat and the-yet-to-be-completed-quilt. Isn't it amazing how different each quilt looks!

This is turning out to be such an awesome topic!

It's fun to see what each person picked as their first project :)

My first quilt - still not quilted. Done in my one and only class a few years ago. Queen size.

This is my first quilt, made about 1986 (I remember my first daughter was little and she was born in '81). I had gone to the county fair that year and saw the quilts. Some were amazing and some I thought "I could do that". So... I did. It is hand pieced and hand quilted.

I entered it in the fair the next year and won first prize for Quilter's First Quilt.

Can't show you mine - they didn't have cameras invented back then. HA HA. Really! I've been sewing quilt blocks since I can remember and learned hand quilting when I was about 8 or 10. Doesn't make my work better, just older. I certainly have to say that the work in the past 5 years has some obvious and definite improvements in both style, quality and work involved.

This was from my first quilting class I took that got me hooked on quilting. About 3 years ago now.

Can't believe that these ae yor first quilts!! Everyone is so talented. Here is my humble first quilt for my daughter made out with her old clothes.

I'll try tomorrow. It is so simple compared to some of the others. Right now my grand daughter is sleeping with it. Guess that means even though its simple it is loved. LOL

Blog Entries
    Don't know if I'd dare show mine. There's one in particular that I look at and say, "What were you thinking!!" But I'm still fond of it cause it got me through a rough time in my life. It was my first hand quilted project and working on it took my mind off my troubles.l

So this is my first ever quilt. (I remember doing one when my brother was born, but have no idea what it looked like or if we even still have it!)

My sister went on a pioneer trek with our church one summer when I was 19, and Mom made her dress. There was leftover material that was just sitting there, so I asked mom if I could make a quilt. She drew it out for me on graph paper, and I went to town with a 4'' square template made from a cereal box and a pair of scissors.

It's still my favorite quilt to nap with, and is starting to pop in the seams. (I have to fix it!) I don't think I could ever part with it! I might have to make a label and attach to the back with all this rambling on it for future reference!

Since then I've dabbled in it, making another one a few years later...however all that changed two years ago when I got married and had nothing to do but quilt! Now I've made over 30 and I'm still going at it! It's an addiction I tell you!

So here's my very first attempt at a quilt.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast