Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Singer 319 in need of TLC (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/singer-319-need-tlc-t162425.html)

jz 10-24-2011 01:29 PM

I'm not too worried about that though since other machines' belts probably can fit since it has an adjustable nut for the bracket that holds the motor. Thank goodness for nuts that you can move with your own hands.

ruthie 10-24-2011 02:53 PM

Nice job so far. Nice old machine, you will get lots and lots of use out of her.

hershery 10-24-2011 07:29 PM

Miriam your machine is cleaning up nicely. Great jop.

miriam 10-24-2011 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by hershery

This machine has a long ways to go. The out side is nearly done. The works of it will be part 2 and another story. So far, I know it doesn't zig zag. The tension has not been checked. Then there is the electric unless I put it on a treadle.

I found the bobbin case. It was in the box with the accessories.

jz 10-25-2011 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by miriam

This machine has a long ways to go. The out side is nearly done. The works of it will be part 2 and another story. So far, I know it doesn't zig zag. The tension has not been checked. Then there is the electric unless I put it on a treadle.

You should check the electrical connections before considering changing it to a treadle operated machine. That can be a little strenuous on the legs. Sometimes the wires have come undone and/or the wire(s) can be broken. The motors themselves are pretty simple electrical motors and usually don't go bad. Also check all junctions where there can be clogs of some sort like gummy grease or thread etc. And don't force the motor to run while it may be clogged it can burn out like any other electrical motor. Good luck.

miriam 10-25-2011 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by jz

Originally Posted by miriam

You should check the electrical connections before considering changing it to a treadle operated machine. That can be a little strenuous on the legs. Sometimes the wires have come undone and/or the wire(s) can be broken. The motors themselves are pretty simple electrical motors and usually don't go bad. Also check all junctions where there can be clogs of some sort like gummy grease or thread etc. And don't force the motor to run while it may be clogged it can burn out like any other electrical motor. Good luck.

We pulled the wires because they were bare and some of the covering was exposing wires. The motor can be rebuilt - we've done it before. DH plans on all new wires to re-assemble. He's good at that kind of thing. He checks wires on everything I bring home.

jz 10-25-2011 04:50 AM

That's good. Did you send out the motor to be rebuilt or did your husband do it himself? Is it expensive to have the motors rebuilt?

stitchengramie 10-25-2011 04:57 AM

You did a wonderful job of cleaning up the sewing machine. Is that sewing machine considered a heavy duty version.

miriam 10-25-2011 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by jz
That's good. Did you send out the motor to be rebuilt or did your husband do it himself? Is it expensive to have the motors rebuilt?

We rebuild them. DH is very handy with electric.

miriam 10-25-2011 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by stitchengramie
You did a wonderful job of cleaning up the sewing machine. Is that sewing machine considered a heavy duty version.

I would say compared to anything you can buy new it should be heavy duty. How ever I use an industrial for truly heavy duty materials. I've see a bent needle shaft before.