Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Some quilts i've made...and a bit more about me (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/some-quilts-ive-made-bit-more-about-me-t4886.html)

Barb M 03-02-2008 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well. i thought it would be nice to show you all some of the quilts i've made. In 200 i made my first quilt, but i don't have a photo of it. It was a trip around the world quilt, black with black and burgandy florals, and it was 6 inch squares, and it was tied together. Thats the only quilt i've made myself so far, but it's nice and warm on our bed. The next quilt i made was in 2001, our pastor suddenly resigned from our church, and a goodbye dinner was being held one week later. I made the quilt in 6 days, and on the last day got the ladies in the church to help me hand quilt it. I have a photo here, it's not a very good photo, of it on their bed, it's folded back in half...they loved their quilt, and i miss them a lot. It has hearts on it, and on the label i put the scripture that there is faith, hope and love, but the greatest gift is love, cus that's what they gave to all of us

Barb M 03-02-2008 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now i'm trying to think what is the next quilt i did. The next two both got thrown in the closet, cus they got messed up, and i dont know if i can fix them. Then in 03 i made this quilt for our newborn grandaughter, Elisa, the love of our life

Barb M 03-02-2008 10:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Right after Elisa was born, i became very ill. Very suddenly having severe memory problems, personality change, very withdrawn, could not follow a conversation, could not multi-task, started dropping things, and was very confused. My dad had just tested positive for Huntington's disease, and so i scheduled testing for myself, and the results came back positive. I did not want this disease to win, and i wanted to make a positive impact. My parents 50th anniversary was coming up, and my 3 sisters could not decide what to give them. I decided to plan a quilt. None of my sisters knew how to quilt. I sent them fabric and instructions in the mail, and taught them how to paper piece the roses, and so we each made roses for the quilt. Then i put the whole quilt together. It is an irish chain, because my parents background is irish, and i put 50 diamonds on the outside of the quilt. The quilt was done in 1 inch blocks. For me, having just been diagnosed with hd, it was really really important to me to finish this. Even amongst the confusion, i was able to do it.

Barb M 03-02-2008 10:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
HD started taking over...i tried to make my new grandaughter a quilt for her first Christmas, but it got thrown in a box in the closet, because i didnt have the clarity of mind and focus to be able to quilt. So i thought that was the last of my sewing, but a year and a half ago, i got put on a new drug that is used for Alzheimers patients, and within 3 weeks all my confusion was gone, and i felt almost normal again, so i pulled Elisas quilt out of the closet, and finished it, it really was a miracle, cus i really could not finish it before. Here is the quilt she got last year for Christmas

Barb M 03-02-2008 10:48 PM

Sorry i'm going on here, but just thought i would do this. Anyways, since last Christmas, i am still feeling well on my new medication, my neurologist is so pleased that i'm doing better than i was 5 years ago, and so i am happy too. Last few months i have been working on a quilt for a very dear friend, and it isnt finished yet. This Christmas i made Elisa another quilt, and right now i want to make one for both my daughters. I am also making a wallhanging for my doctors office from Denise's BOM pattern, i will post it when i'm done. And then i want to make a raffle quilt for the hd clinic, to raise money for research. So, that's a bit more about me, and some quilts i've done. I love paper piecing the best, and i'm really enjoying being able to sew again, and really enjoying this forum

Kyiav10 03-02-2008 11:45 PM

Barb, I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better with the new meds.

Great work on the quilts. They are beautiful. So is your grand daughter.

Kyia

Barb M 03-02-2008 11:48 PM

Awe, thank you so much Kia :)

kathy 03-03-2008 04:11 AM

the quilts are very nice and I'm so glad they found a medicine to help make you feel better. Quilting is such good therapy for what ails you , I hate to think about not being able to.

Knot Sew 03-03-2008 04:32 AM

You did a very good job of telling your story, very articulate. I am so glad you are doing well now.
Your quilts are all great :D

Cathy M 03-03-2008 04:56 AM

Okay, I've dried my tears of joy at reading the wonderful story associated with your parents quilt. What a fabulous gift you've given your family. I am sorry that you're suffering with Huntington's disease. I can see that you value everyday as a gift and we are all blessed because of that. Take care and have the most wonderful day ever :):):)