Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Something to Crow About (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/something-crow-about-t233676.html)

Helen S 10-31-2013 07:19 AM

Something to Crow About

2 Attachment(s)
I've been busy lately so haven't been on here much, but finally managed to finish one of the many projects I'm working on. Absolutely LOVED doing this one and I'm looking forward to doing a series of something like this.

I found the "Jaunty Rooster" free pattern online from Bernartex but the rest of the wall quilt is my own idea. I've re-named mine "Something to Crow About." Did some thread painting for the grass...first time for me and it was fun. I learned a lot about thread painting, mostly to make sure you have enough stabilizer behind it before beginning, because if not, the stitching pulls the fabric out of shape! How do I know this? Well, I HAD stabilizer behind the grass and simply stitched the outline, then tore it off because I thought I was done, but ended up adding more and never thought to add more stabilizer til it was too later. Oh, well, he turned out OK in the end.

All the border is paper-pieced on adding machine paper. The beige backing is muslin with slubs which added a bit of texture. All the rest is completely scrap fabric. I used C & C embroidery thread in the top and Gutermann's in the bobbin, adjusting the tension on scrap fabric, and with heavy stabilizer behind everything. The eye was a piece of black fabric with white dots on it and a white swirl, so I just followed that swirl when stitching. The flowers were highlighted using Derwent Inktense pencils and water.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]444205[/ATTACH] The bottom right corner looks wonky, but it's all square. The flange also looks wonky here and there and ended up stitching it down. As I said, I learned a lot and would have made sure that corner had straighter seams like the other three corners if I'd thought about it when doing it. Oh, well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]444206[/ATTACH] Close up of the quilting etc. The ladybug and flower pot were my hubby's idea, so have to give him that credit. They definitely helped make the quilt so I'll keep him around a bit longer! :D

Sneed 10-31-2013 07:24 AM

How very cute!! I'm a chicken lover and have done many with all kinds of chickens, but this one is just too cute!! You've done a beautiful job.

tessagin 10-31-2013 07:25 AM

This is one pretty rooster!

Scraplady 10-31-2013 07:25 AM

This just made me smile. He is really a handsome fellow. What an awesome quilt. Sounds like an awesome hubby too. Sometimes they have the best ideas.

Sewfine 10-31-2013 07:40 AM

That is beautiful. I had that pattern enlarged 100% to make for my DIL. She love roosters and chickens.

dgeskine 10-31-2013 07:45 AM

OMG! He is just fabulous! Congratulations, awesome quilt.

Lady Jane 10-31-2013 07:50 AM

That is sew cute !

Jingle 10-31-2013 08:02 AM

That is really cute. Great work.

Diane007 10-31-2013 09:23 AM

what a happy rooster
very nice

2011wannaquilt 10-31-2013 09:50 AM

Adorable, makes me smile. I need to find information on thread painting and giving it a try.