Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   stained glass sailboat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/stained-glass-sailboat-t92150.html)

ckcowl 01-20-2011 07:59 AM

did you have any specific problems? i find stained glass to be one of the most forgiving techniques...so easy to cover oopsies. i guess the only tip i can offer is...cut your applique pieces generously, so you have a little overlap (the bias tape will cover the areas when you apply your (leading). like with all applique start from the lower layer and work your way up, fuse all pieces in place then add your leading and zig-zag the leading in place, which holds all of your applique pieces securily

Originally Posted by arbed31
That is very beautiful. I have attempted stained glass quilting but need lots of practice. Any tips?

k3n 01-20-2011 08:13 AM

That's beautiful! The movement in it is so realistic, I could almost feel like I'm at sea. The idea to include in a Storm at Sea is fantastic, look forward to seeing that!

reach for the stars 2 01-20-2011 08:20 AM

Beautiful it really looks like glass

ckcowl 01-20-2011 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
thought i would show a bit of the storm at sea design...only the blue part is part of the quilt design, the tan's in the upper corner are not part of the design...the square in the blue colored area is where the sailboat is 'supposed' to go....only time shall tell how it looks in the end :thumbup:

storm at sea design sheet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]164178[/ATTACH]

clem55 01-20-2011 08:31 AM

what a beautiful block! Someday, maybe!!!!

kreinhart742 01-20-2011 08:32 AM

Wow that is wonderful

k3n 01-20-2011 08:46 AM

Beautiful! Will you paper piece it?

ckcowl 01-20-2011 08:55 AM

no i am not paper piecing the storm at sea blocks, i am using the "fast2cut quilters' trimplates / rulers-templates and piecing each block...some by hand at work others by machine at home. got the idea from the book-"a new light on Storm at Sea Quilts by Wendy Mathson" the book comes with blank design sheets you can print off to color and play with design.

Originally Posted by k3n

k3n 01-20-2011 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
no i am not paper piecing the storm at sea blocks, i am using the "fast2cut quilters' trimplates / rulers-templates and piecing each block...some by hand at work others by machine at home. got the idea from the book-"a new light on Storm at Sea Quilts by Wendy Mathson" the book comes with blank design sheets you can print off to color and play with design.

Originally Posted by k3n

Thanks for the book info. I have aUFO storm at sea in bright batiks that I got fed up with. I like PP but got tired of doing the same block over and over. I'll check this method out. :-D

Snorky Lvs2Quilt 01-20-2011 09:37 AM

Wow....I love it!! Great job. I used to do actual stained glass projects with glass many years ago but still love the looks of it. I will have to try my hand at the fabric type.