Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Star Strata table topper (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/star-strata-table-topper-t70536.html)

kristen0112 11-09-2010 05:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
What I am writing is from what I remember so please be aware that I might have forgotten some of it. I found the pattern online it was free but can't find my copy and I did not book mark the site either - darn it.

The strips were 1 1/2 inches by WOF, I did 8 different fabrics and the measurements will be for that number. You'll need to make 5 strip sets, cut 4 and save the 5th you'll need for remaining pieces. Sew Fabrics 2 & 3 together, 4 & 5 together and 6 & 7 together. Then sew those together sewing from opposite directions i.e. sew one going up then flip it and sew from the other side going down, repeating and adding the two end pieces on the correct ends. This helps keep your strip set from warping. Also use spray starch as the triangles will be on the diagonal will stretch easily.

I took a 12 1/2 inch ruler and used a sharpie marker to mark a line. From the diagonal center line place another ruler on top measure 3/4 of an inch above that line, and mark with sharpie.
Then mark a second line starting again from the center diagonal line measure 3 1/2 inches above and mark with sharpie.

Now your ready to cut triangles. Using the ruler you just marked cut dark triangles (larger triangle) out along that side. Then on the remaining light side fabrics cut your light colored triangles (larger triangle). From each strip set you should get 2 dark and 2 light large triangles and 1 small dark triangle. You'll need 8 - large dark triangles and 8 - large light triangles, and 4 - small dark triangles.
With the remaining strip set cut the 4 - small light triangles.

Now sew 2 large dark triangles together repeat with remaining dark and then do the same with the large light triangles. Here's where my memory is a bit fuzzy but I think I sewed them this way (see photos) then you match them up and sew together. I sewed one half then made the other half and sewed the two halves together.

I folded my topper to show how the to assemble the pieces to form the 'block' DARK with a light small triangle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122775[/ATTACH]

light with a small dark triangle
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122776[/ATTACH]

suzij48 04-12-2019 09:35 AM

I love you colors and love this table topper. Would you please share with me where you got the pattern. Thank you Suzij48

Rumbols 04-12-2019 10:40 AM

Very pretty. Haven't made one yet. Sorry can't help with the binding part.

quiltingshorttimer 04-12-2019 05:25 PM

looks great! and reminds me that I have this pattern--somewhere! Glad to hear that it was pretty simple to put together. Thanks for posting.

Lilrain 04-12-2019 08:58 PM

My favorite colors! You did very well!

NT66 04-12-2019 09:58 PM

Just FYI.......the last post/picture (other than today's 4) was 9 years ago!

Jordan 04-14-2019 04:10 PM

Very pretty table topper and love your fall colors. You did a great job on this. Looks pretty complicated to me but yours turned out gorgeous.

pawwy23 04-14-2019 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by kristen0112 (Post 1732980)
This is my first star Strata topper. I think I did pretty good choosing colors - its for fall. I do have one question for those of you who've made one. How did you bind yours? Did you do a pillow case method and not bind it or did you quilt it and then do a regular binding on it?

Just did a Regular binding on mine

sue.ross.8782 04-15-2019 06:17 AM

Cool! Is this a table topper?:thumbup:

heather1949 04-15-2019 07:53 PM

That looks beautiful, well done :)