Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Starry, Starry Night..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/starry-starry-night-t151559.html)

BuzzinBumble 09-10-2011 06:46 AM

PS: JoyjoyMarie- To make a queen sized qulit, you would either need a huge print or you could use 12 repeats of your fabric and do twice as many hexagons. Which would be a bit much I think. Or you could add creative borders.

BuzzinBumble 09-10-2011 06:47 AM

Thank you for all the really great compliments everyone! Much, Much appreciated! :D

grannypat7925 09-10-2011 06:49 AM

Great quilt! Still very intimidating to me but I love looking at the ones others have done!

BuzzinBumble 09-10-2011 06:54 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BeckyL
Inspiring. I plan to do a OBW later this year or early next. I have chosen a Robert Kaufman fabric that is designed by Peggy Toole called Florentine 3 in the pewter colorway. If any of you are familiar with this fabric, I would appreciate your opinions as to whether or not this will make a really nice OBW. I can only hope I can do as well as this one.

Hi Becky! Thank you!
I checked out the fabrics in that collection and am not sure which one you chose. It is a gorgeous line of fabrics though! I thought there were two possibilities in what i saw that would make good OBWs. I have pasted them below, along with a kaleidoscope image made of each. Is one of the yours?

Florentine 3 - Duomo Ceiling in Pewter
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254176[/ATTACH]

Duomo Ceiling in a Kaleidoscope
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254177[/ATTACH]

Boboli Rose in Pewter
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254178[/ATTACH]

Boboli Rose in a Kaleidoscope
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254179[/ATTACH]

Mariposa 09-10-2011 06:55 AM

Very pretty!

BeckyL 09-10-2011 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble

Inspiring. I plan to do a OBW later this year or early next. I have chosen a Robert Kaufman fabric that is designed by Peggy Toole called Florentine 3 in the pewter colorway. If any of you are familiar with this fabric, I would appreciate your opinions as to whether or not this will make a really nice OBW. I can only hope I can do as well as this one.

Hi Becky! Thank you!
I checked out the fabrics in that collection and am not sure which one you chose. It is a gorgeous line of fabrics though! I thought there were two possibilities in what i saw that would make good OBWs. I have pasted them below, along with a kaleidoscope image made of each. Is one of the yours?

Neither of those are the fabric I chose, but I can certainly see that they would be in the same line. Mine has a dark brown background and pewter florals with metallics.

How do you create the second image of the fabric?

By the way, thanks so much for your help.

Annz 09-10-2011 07:05 AM

Very nice.

BuzzinBumble 09-10-2011 07:30 AM

4 Attachment(s)

Neither of those are the fabric I chose, but I can certainly see that they would be in the same line. Mine has a dark brown background and pewter florals with metallics.

How do you create the second image of the fabric?

By the way, thanks so much for your help.

I couldn't find one like you are describing. But if it is anything like the others in that collection, it must be lovely.

You asked how I create the Kaleidoscope image.
I use Kaleidoscope Kreator 3. EQ7 also has a feature that will do it. Some people use a special mirror tool that they take with them to fabric shops in order to test a fabric for OBW possibilities.

When I first read Maxine Rosenthal's book I was very excited, but also very nervous about choosing the wrong fabric and putting in all that work for a quilt I wouldn't like. So I relied on testing first with Kaleidoscope Kreator before purchasing the fabric. It helped me weed out a lot of choices that would not have been so great.

If you are considering purchasing a fabric online, you can often use the photographic image the seller used. Or you can look up a fabric you found locally and find an image, or even scan or photograph the fabric so you will have a picture to use. It helps to know the scale of the print and fit it correctly into the scale of the hexagon.

I will show you an example of the process I used to decide whether or not to buy a fabric. It isn't entirely accurate because you are working with an image of only a section of the fabric. The real thing will have much more variety, but it certainly gives you an idea if you would like the fabric turned into a OBW. I use the "Paint" program on our computer to "assemble" the hexagons and make a virtual quilt.
And yes, I bought these particular fabrics. :thumbup:

And JoyjoyMarie, after the panel is added, that one is a queen sized quilt.

Original Kaufman fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254191[/ATTACH]

Hexagon Kaleidoscopes made from fabric sample
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254192[/ATTACH]

OBW assembled from hexagons (Looks like a Tickling quilt to me)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254193[/ATTACH]

With a Coordinating Panel
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254194[/ATTACH]

A1penny 09-10-2011 07:38 AM

Beautiful quilt, and I loved all your answers to the comments! So very interesting.

MaggieMeg 09-10-2011 07:47 AM

You did an absolutely wonderful job! And the name is perfect for the quilt! I'll bet your daughter is very pleased with her quilt! I sure would be if it were mine! Congratulations!