Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   storing your stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/storing-your-stash-t75459.html)

oma66 11-09-2010 11:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have one double closet in my sewing room and it must hold everything I need for quilting. I really don't have a large "stash" though I buy fabrics that I like and add to them as I decide what quilt pattern I want to make. I group all the fabrics for each quilt together.

I have seen some of your storage closets and you seem to do it differently; storing all your colors separate and then just draw from your stash when you know what your project it going to be. Some of your fabric stashes are like mini quilt shops! Maybe one day I will have such a stash...one can only hope. It is fun to see your quilting rooms, your fabrics and etc.

these four fabrics, black print, green, dark pink and white print is for one quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122890[/ATTACH]

these pastels are for yet another quilt. On top of the pink on top are three cross stitch pictures that I want to use in the quilt, so I will have to design a quilt around the three cross stitch pictures.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122891[/ATTACH]

here are two of my towers of fabrics. the one on the right is of fabrics I just had to have and background fabrics. The one on the right is stacked according to the quilts I want to make.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]122892[/ATTACH]

quilt-fanatic 11-10-2010 01:12 AM

Glad to know I'm not the only one who groups their fabrics together that will become a quilt!

Lacelady 11-10-2010 02:18 AM

I too keep some fabrics together in a group, just in case I forget what I bought it for, and accidentally use it for something else. I usually keep the design with it too, for when I want to get started.

The rest of my stash is grouped in colours as much as I am able to, and kept in a large chest of drawers and plastic bins. Not necessarily ideal, but the best I could do at the time.

cjtinkle 11-10-2010 03:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I can't say my stash is in order of any type very well. I keep my smaller yardage on mini bolts in my sewing room closet.

Fat quarters I have in plastic drawers. Full bolts I keep on shelves in my quilting room. They're kind of hard to see in the picture.

Someday, I hope to have one large studio where it all fits together, maybe then I'll be more organized!

SuziC 11-10-2010 03:15 AM

You are not alone in this...I do the same thing :lol:

SueDor 11-10-2010 03:25 AM

Nice stash!

sewTinker 11-10-2010 03:38 AM

I do both things. I have a stash that combines my fat quarters and yardage by color; but, I also have things by project. I use "project envelopes" that I picked up at walmart or target, etc... they are clear or tinted plastic. I label the envelope with pertinent info, put the pattern inside, along with fabric I pull from my stash. I set the envelope atop of the yardage that won't fit inside and keep it all in a rubbermaid drawer until I'm ready. I also list these future projects on a whiteboard, so I don't worry about them. It's a handy system for me and when I'm working on those projects, the pieces, scraps, my notes, and baggies of blocks have a "home."

Rebecca VLQ 11-10-2010 04:37 AM

I've got it by color, then I pull and put in a basket what I want for the next quilt. Then after I'm done, I put it back in its color section. This works because I never buy an entire line to make a quilt. With the exception of AB "Love". I did buy that all together, and haven't separated it.

I wanna live at Tinkle's house though. It *is* like a quilt shop! :D

cjomomma 11-10-2010 04:57 AM

I don't really organize my stash much. My solids are seperate from the colors. Holiday fab's have their own spot. I do know where everything is and I am able to go right to a piece when I need it.

oma66 11-10-2010 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
I can't say my stash is in order of any type very well. I keep my smaller yardage on mini bolts in my sewing room closet.

Fat quarters I have in plastic drawers. Full bolts I keep on shelves in my quilting room. They're kind of hard to see in the picture.

Someday, I hope to have one large studio where it all fits together, maybe then I'll be more organized!

WOW!! THAT IS SOME STUDIO. I REALLY LIKE HOW YOU HAVE YOUR FABICS STANDING ON END AND SO EASY TO SEE. GREAT JOB