Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   suggestions for giving this old quilt new life (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/suggestions-giving-old-quilt-new-life-t65070.html)

sarge1 09-16-2010 08:06 PM

I KNEW I could count on this forum! I love all of these ideas-things I had never thought of. I will share what I decide, and the final product. Not sure I will get to it before Christmas, though, as there are other things in the works. And my boss is in Chile until Christmas anyway, so this will give me some time to think about it and then work on it. Thanks everyone!

hordy 09-16-2010 11:38 PM

I recently reworked a quilt that belonged to my mother and father in law, and when I say reworked I mean completely!!! I took the entire quilt apart and had to make 12" blocks into 10 " blocks, and then reinforce each block, because the quilt was 44 years old. Then take all the backing, and quilting apart... I swear to you it is something that I will never do ever again it is just too much work! Mind you this was my first time ever doing anything with quilting :? So consider how you might do this, because it took me 4 years to complete this undertaking :thumbup:

quiltstodo 09-17-2010 01:07 PM

I've used the one's that were given to me to make pillow shams. They really look cute with a scrappy quilt on the bed.

Matilda 09-17-2010 01:12 PM

WHat is the brown in the teared part? I wish I could be there to help you. I have restored a quilt for a man we know that his mother made and he wanted to keep it. I had to do some hand sewing but didn't mind. It looked pretty good when I was done.

Originally Posted by sarge1
My boss gave me this quilt. His grandmother made it, but alas, one of his dogs got to it, and he gave it to me to do with it what I wished. Well, what I'd really love to do is give it back to him in some form. It is not repairable as is. My next thought was to cut out the save-able blocks (about 13) and make a lap quilt; Or, even better, to use the quilt to make teddy bears for his two granddaughters. Someone told me teddy bears are tricky ??
Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Matilda 09-17-2010 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric

Originally Posted by Prism99
the idea of cutting up old quilts for this use is dismaying, to say the least.

I agree. I see beautiful repurpose items made from old quilts in homes and stores and magazines, but my heart sighs for the quilts.

Me too. I think it could be repaired.

sarge1 09-17-2010 02:13 PM

[quote=Matilda]WHat is the brown in the teared part? I wish I could be there to help you. I have restored a quilt for a man we know that his mother made and he wanted to keep it. I had to do some hand sewing but didn't mind. It looked pretty good when I was done.

The brown is just the carpet showing through.

After reading these posts, and doing a little more online research, I actually think it can be repaired. I was reading about appliqueing directly over the worn patches, which I never thought of! I'm going to try to repair it, taking my time and pictures as I go. I'm no expert, but I'm looking forward to trying to salvage this.

Matilda 09-17-2010 02:18 PM

I think you will do fine. Just take your time with it. I was and am no expert either. The friend's quilt I did, I thought, "Oh my!" But it worked out. Yours is too pretty to not try to save it.

Originally Posted by sarge1

The brown is just the carpet showing through.

After reading these posts, and doing a little more online research, I actually think it can be repaired. I was reading about appliqueing directly over the worn patches, which I never thought of! I'm going to try to repair it, taking my time and pictures as I go. I'm no expert, but I'm looking forward to trying to salvage this.

Rntraveler 09-17-2010 04:33 PM

Carol's Zoo makes patterns in 2 parts like your talking about.. this maybe what you were thinking of... and yes, I think they are sold by McCall's patterns..